The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • My black and white brain tells me a "special interest" is something one knows facts and figures about whereas in reality it is something one engages with intensely however they do it.

The internet has changed how we engage with music in general. I would like to know what legacy has been left from the mid 00's onwards. Some of the bands I like are still playing after decades. What bands of the past .....- ten years at least, will be doing that in 50 years' time? I don't think there's longevity any more. There isn't the commitment needed from fans but also artists can probsbly quite easily get discarded before theyve got going as they are now all probably launched online. 

Another thing is, phones at gigs. I let it go otherwise it'd really annoy me. But at a gig a few weeks ago, EVERYONE constantly had their phones out to the point I couldn't see anything. All of us there had paid quite a chunk of our hard earned to get a ticket.....why do that then watch it through a screen? At the start of every song....phones would come out. Take a few photos, whatever but I see it as a wasted experience any other way. Live music is about the shared relationship between the musicians and the audience. I can't help feeling it's disrespectful but it has become the norm and this is just my opinion.

I would be interested in what others think on any points above.

• I agree about the phones. Whenever I have been compelled to use one, I turn the brightness right down and also video from my chest, so I am still actually watching the real thing. I don't even do this much, though. Usually just a snippet for a visual memory.

Reply Children
No Data