Autism thing?

I wondered if the following situation is commonly experienced by other autistics?

I am out in public, walking along, minding my own business, and some random stranger says, "Cheer up, it might never happen", or words to that effect.

I find it very intrusive and usually cannot find anything witty to say, which would be an ideal response. I am hugely resentful of the concept that I owe it to complete strangers to compose my facial expression to suit their peculiar standards.

Parents
  • Sadly, yes, I experienced that scenario in a large supermarket.  I am pleased to say it is not a commonplace thing to experience - but yes, it does happen sometimes.

(I do not believe it was said in a supportive context or from an intent of concern for my welfare.  Just somebody bored in a supermarket effectively entertaining themself at the expense of another shopper).

I ignored it in terms of any reaction or response (well, on the exterior).

Interior ...I was furious, as I knew I was doing my best - in the uber-hostile environment of the largest supermarket in our area, on the way home from work.

What a charmer, not.

• Sadly, yes, I experienced that scenario in a large supermarket.  I am pleased to say it is not a commonplace thing to experience - but yes, it does happen sometimes.

(I do not believe it was said in a supportive context or from an intent of concern for my welfare.  Just somebody bored in a supermarket effectively entertaining themself at the expense of another shopper).

I ignored it in terms of any reaction or response (well, on the exterior).

Interior ...I was furious, as I knew I was doing my best - in the uber-hostile environment of the largest supermarket in our area, on the way home from work.

What a charmer, not.

Children
  • I’ve worked in supermarkets for 30 years and bullying supermarket colleuages and managers are the worst for this - if you don’t have a “painted on smile” 24/7, even in staff areas, the milltary command to “shut up moaning” is screamed at full volume, as well as a tirade of abusive names involving lots of swear words and you are not ever allowed to respond in any way, in fact it will make it much worse, because they believe that you need to be “taken down a peg or ten” “put in your place” and “knocked back” “because “they say so” and “kept in check” and other colleagues will join in the unofficial disciplinary for “being negative” - since Covid, I’ve heard that the supermarkets in particular have become even worse for this behaviour and people who have been bullied have even less of a leg to stand on and zero recourse to any justice