I don't think I'm autistic but ...

I've never had any reason to think I might be autistic but I did a test that popped up on facebook in an idle moment and was a bit surprised when it told me I was highly likely to be autistic. I didn't take it very seriously - facebook is hardly an authoritative source - but it niggled me a bit so I've taken every AQ test I can find online, repeatedly, and consistently get scores of 35-38. The main reason I think it unlikely that I could be autistic is that I am not a creature of habit, I'm untidy and don't like routines, in fact I like things that break routines, which doesn't sound very typical of autism from what I've read. But for some reason all these tests have unsettled me and I can't put my finger on why. I was just wondering if this resonates with anyone or if any of you have any thoughts to share on my experience?

Parents
  • lol you did an autistic test on Facebook bru if you were you autistic you'd have the IQ to realise that test means nothing. 

• I agree, which is why I said I didn't take it seriously. Since you ask, I do have a very high IQ.

• The problem with being intelligent when taking the various available tests, is that the 'most autistic' answers are immediately obvious, and being entirely objective in giving answers becomes difficult. Also, I certainly tend to pick apart some of the questions as being badly designed, ambiguous or very situational. I am intrigued by people who know their IQ, largely because I have never taken a test - I had little difficulty answering some questions aimed at an IQ of 159, that I came across. I am intrigued by the logical premise that people who set IQ questions must have an IQ higher than the persons being tested, so how are questions for testing very high IQs set?

• I should say, I've never done an IQ test, I was using the phrase euphemistically as the previous post did.

Reply Children
No Data