I don't think I'm autistic but ...

I've never had any reason to think I might be autistic but I did a test that popped up on facebook in an idle moment and was a bit surprised when it told me I was highly likely to be autistic. I didn't take it very seriously - facebook is hardly an authoritative source - but it niggled me a bit so I've taken every AQ test I can find online, repeatedly, and consistently get scores of 35-38. The main reason I think it unlikely that I could be autistic is that I am not a creature of habit, I'm untidy and don't like routines, in fact I like things that break routines, which doesn't sound very typical of autism from what I've read. But for some reason all these tests have unsettled me and I can't put my finger on why. I was just wondering if this resonates with anyone or if any of you have any thoughts to share on my experience?

Parents
  • I'm the same. I'm actually quite a spontaneous person. Not all autistic people are rigid and inflexible. 'Need for routines and rituals' is only one criteria on the autism assessment and I was diagnosed due to fitting all of the other criteria but not really this one.

• I'm the same. I'm actually quite a spontaneous person. Not all autistic people are rigid and inflexible. 'Need for routines and rituals' is only one criteria on the autism assessment and I was diagnosed due to fitting all of the other criteria but not really this one.

Children