Melanie Sykes have just been diagnosed with autism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59352983

Melanie Sykes has just been diagnosed as being autistic 

She like many here remained undiagnosed until later in life. 

very positive article

Parents
  • I think this might become part of the TV programme she was making in relation to her son's autism when she got her own diagnosis. I am a brilliant communicator in my job. But in other areas of my life I struggle with communication. It might not be so obvious to others, but others' reactions or my own frustration of not being able to get across what I need or mean can make it difficult. We can have a spiky profile.

• I had a really difficult experience today. I had an initial telephone consultation with my local mental health people. I spent almost an hour on the phone with someone who wouldn't listen to me and kept making assumptions, was talking too fast, didnt make sense and couldnt answer me straight before finally telling me they couldnt help. I came off the phone feeling confused about what had happened. That I couldn't articulate myself or get my point across because I couldn't match his communication style.

I have felt frustrated and upset the entire day and it's made me feel worse. However I had an excellent online lesson with my students and they made good progress.

I hope this can show how we have spiky profiles.

(I would say the phone call was a miss match of communication styles but felt I moulded myself to his ways rather than he adjusting his approach. Altho this made no difference in the end. It's times like this I feel there's a deficit in my communication when in reality it's different styles that don't suit each other. I'm beyond frustrated.)

• i do a long walk to blow stuff out of my head --- a brisk walk until u get tired 

• I think it won't rest in my head till I'm asleep.  But thank you.

Reply Children