Do you ever think it's odd that diagnosis is essentially just us being classified, usually by neurotypical people?

Hi again,

I always find myself looking back on my diagnostic procedure and feeling quite traumatised. It was so embarrassing, what person in their mid-teens or in adulthood wants to mime brushing their teeth and read picture books and tell a story with a paperclip and answer all kinds of personal questions? I just found it really infantilising. I've reflected on it a lot recently, and particularly as I've read more and more material that says autism isn't a disease and we don't need fixing or curing [I still don't know where I am on this, I'm still on my journey] but it just seems really weird that we go to some kind of professional who is usually neurotypical to be labelled after answering their questions and doing their tests. I mean, I don't know how else diagnosis could happen, unless only autistics were allowed to diagnose autism which is just silly and would never happen, but... What do other people think?

I'm also tired of neurotypical people not listening to us. I'm sorry to say this - as I said before I don't do conflict - but I've been lurking on this site for quite a while and I've even seen examples of it on this site, autistic people saying that they're uncomfortable with things neurotypical users [parents etc] have said and the neurotypical person then responding by getting offended and talking over them and using emotional blackmail against the autistic person rather than listening and bettering themselves. I'm not going into specific occasions but I kind of just want to say that if a member of a minority group that you aren't a part of expresses they're not happy with something you've said then you should listen to them rather than getting defensive and making them look like the bad guys. You're the one with the privilege, even if you are close to someone who is autistic, you still aren't autistic yourself so you have allistic privilege. Rant over.

Hope you're all having a good week,

Scarlett Slight smile

• Mind you though the problem would be if other Autistics assesed us we would just be like if we couldn't relate to that person we wouldn't be able to differ between them or the NT we'd judge by personality and traits rather than doing a propper assesment hence why you get people on this group occasionally calling eachother fakes or saying your not Autistic cause you don't think like me or I don't agree with opinion so you can't be Autistic. That would be the problem letting other autistics asses one another. We were too sturbon and opniated at times if we can't relate to someone else we simply ignore them or dont acknowledge them weather there are or not partly due to mind blindness which we all ironically suffer from. NTs are needed guess cause they veiw things more practically and as much as I slate NTs there Still a value part of the echo system and are definitely needed when it comes to assessing us. It's like that question if Autistics ruled the world we'd probably make dreadful priministers of politions cause we'd only see things are way and know one ellses way. And I'm saying and admitting that as an ASD  

• Duno about tollerance as tollerance feeds wokeness but acceptance I guess. Not being classified as a mental retardation would be nice 

• Yep all the time it's like s complete contradiction. They tell us that were normal they tell us are Autism isn't the probablem they tell us were social awkward but wait a minute. What's to say there not the ones who socially awkward what's to say there not the ones with the problem. Ironically the majority of NTs have an IQ below 100 making them stupid and borderline retarded. We have relatively high IQ's and are more logically thinking yet were labeled as introverts and wiered because of. In my opinion we'd of never been discovered if it wasn't for the *** yet they still treat as much the same as they did. Pumping us with antipsychotics then telling us were not phycotic but this to help with your condition even though there's no actual cure.were treated like mental illness even though it's DNA splicing that makes us and molds us the way we are if you can't prove as to why someone is born differently what's to say we are different or who was formed propperly 1st maybe NTs are are the defect form and were the superior being given how many NTs fear us or don't understand us I'd probably agree with this hypothesis to an extent. When Hitler rose to power the masses thought he was right because he had the power of we had the power in our hands what's to say we aren't right. 

• I'm doing well thank you.  I still don't use some of the features in Discord, but I do enjoy it.

• It's a nice group. It's an open chat between people. It's very supportive.

• I'd rather not. I don't like private messages, I leave it turned off. I have had so many bad experiences with private messages, I leave it turned off now everywhere if possible. Sorry.

• you can do it in the browser as well

• I've asked aidie to message you the details - you just download an app and you can chat to us.

• i need to message you the details kikicat

• Well, hopefully I won't be here much longer then. And people were definitely more understanding in times gone by, now they are just jealous and 'my life's worse than yours wah wah wah wah'. I see lovely groups of people who live/work together, all supportive and friendly. That's all I want: a nice group of friends/ family. It's not much to ask.

Secondly, I do have evidence that people are getting worse. I've been in contact with friends from past years recently. Either they've contacted me or I've contacted them. Almost without exception they are less friendly, more offended, more touchy, even quite strange. I suppose it could be me that's changed but I definitely see more strange sides to old friends now. I don't remember them being so easily offended, or so jealous, or so unpredictable, for example. What is happening to people? Sooo many examples of friends I used to really like, yet when I get back in touch, they've changed for the worse. I could give you so many weird examples.

I have a theory however that maybe they preferred the single, screw up Kikicat, who got everything wrong, was always in a mess, never had a boyfriend etc. When they find I'm now happily married with a daughter, maybe they don't like it. Maybe they don't look so good in comparison to me now? Hm...

• Kiki, you only have to take a look at history to know that humans are the same as they have always been. No better or no worse.  Intolerance, cruelty, ignorance and general stupidity are just as widespread as at any other time in our history. It's just that technology has enabled us to record every instance of insanity around the world, as it happens, and then broadcast it on a loop to every home and every device. This makes it feel as if things are worse. 

• Hello, Former Member It's nice to hear from you. How are you keeping? I tried the discord server thing, but I found it too confusing to use. I'm old and my brain doesn't work fast enough.

• Join BJS' Discord server - I think he's already invited you.  We will be there for you.

• There will be empathic, understanding people out there, be assured, although I understand the difficulty in finding them and, of course, getting yourself out there can feel like a considerable risk in itself.

When the hard-faced world gets to me I tend to seek sanctuary with my plants, garden, walking in nature etc - just to reset and calm my mind and blow all the repetitive thoughts about such people out of my mind.  Not sure whether you'd find this helpful but there might be something similar which absorbs you and would give you some much needed breathing space.

Plus, as BJS has already said, we are here and listening.       

• i know its not the same but we are here to chat with you

• Cinderella's Stepsisters. Disappointed

• I dunno. I'm just tired of struggling on, excluded, lonely, disliked, mocked. Where are the nice people these days? All I want is a few friends to chat with in real life. That's not much to ask, is it? Just a few friends who like to chat. They can support me and I can support them. Just a few friends. That's all.

• You might well be right. And even if that is the case, the onus is still on everyone to try to be understanding and caring, through dialogue, and action.

I think I've got by in this world but ignoring and disregarding a lot of stuff, and trying to be pragmatic. But I'm sure the people around me would totally disagree. I always thought of myself as calm and handling stress well. The reality is, I'm not and I handle stress poorly. I just want to be calm and handle stress well.

I hope your current concerns resolve themselves quickly (I did see your other post, but have no useful input for that particular situation).

Try to remember though, life is what happens to us, but it doesn't necessarily define us.

Keep on keeping on.