Online autistic identity

I like facebook - I spend a lot of time on it. My profile is almost exclusively 'NT compliant but still eccentric old me'

Does anyone think that a 'dual identity' is healthy?

I feel like I want to 'live my truth' and just be completely open, but I think some/many existing friends would be confused and quite unnerved.

Above all I just want to share some things I know - to entertain, educate, resonate (or be happily disagreed with) - and feel that some of my things are VERY not NT.

Parents
  • After going through phases of deactivating and reactivating my FB account, I finally deleted it. People get so uncomfortable with so many things (bluntness, 'oversharing', certain jokes etc). I found FB to be quite restricting, because I felt pressured to pretend to be somebody I'm not on there, and hype up my happiness and successes. 

Another thing that annoyed me about it is that most people I know pretend to be someone they're not on there! Like they have their 'online persona', which is nothing like their real selves. I had a conversation about this with one of my NT friends, who just shrugged and said "that's just the way it is". Total waste of energy. I'd rather just chat to my friends one on one on WhatsApp and IRL.

• Same here. Social media is emotionally and spiritually exhausting for me. So many pointless updates, photographs, memes, news shares, advertisements, it's how I imagine hell would be...

Reply Children