Poll: Should this forum be a space for people with autism?

Parents
  • It could potentially be a good thing you could have an option that allows you to make posts limited to people who are autistic but then there's the question of how would you know who autistic or not because if it's just a simple: are you autistic? Yes/No? there's no way of knowing someone doesn't lie.

You also have the issue of is it the right thing to have little separate discussions happening that other people don't know about, it seems to me that the idea of a forum is that it's supposed to be completely open for everyone to see and decide if they want to interact.

I can see the appeal but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing

• how would you know who autistic or not because if it's just a simple: are you autistic?

One idea would be that when you join the site, you declare whether you are autistic or not and so whenever you post or comment, your avatar and/or profile indicates whether or not you had autism (diagnosed, undiagnosed, or waiting for assessment). This would at least be a way for autistic members to know whether or not they were interacting with an NT or not. 

I don't know. I suppose the question is: why is the forum on an autistic society website an open one? it doesn't make sense to me that absolutely anyone can become a member. I mean it's not like NT's don't have the whole of cyberspace to play with!

Is it too much to ask for carve a little bit of space for autistic people on a national autistic website? 

• how would you know who autistic or not because if it's just a simple: are you autistic?

One idea would be that when you join the site, you declare whether you are autistic or not and so whenever you post or comment, your avatar and/or profile indicates whether or not you had autism (diagnosed, undiagnosed, or waiting for assessment). This would at least be a way for autistic members to know whether or not they were interacting with an NT or not. 

I don't know. I suppose the question is: why is the forum on an autistic society website an open one? it doesn't make sense to me that absolutely anyone can become a member. I mean it's not like NT's don't have the whole of cyberspace to play with!

Is it too much to ask for carve a little bit of space for autistic people on a national autistic website? 

Children