Website Problems/SO FRUSTRATING *Updated*

For about a week now, I've had major problems trying to access this forum. Either it partially loads, or doesn't load at all. Even when it partially loads, many of the features of the forum don't work. I can't reply to some threads, and the ones I can reply to don't seem to let me edit my posts or use quotes. On top of all that, if I try to load different topics, it freezes. There's no rhyme or reason to the problems, it's completely random - and if I don't give up soon, I'm going to end up pulling out my hair! Does anyone else have these same issues? I don't think I've seen a website so full of glitches and bugs since the early days of the internet.

UPDATE: *I've switched browser from Safari to Chrome and, fingers crossed, a lot of the issues have been resolved.*

Parents Reply Children
  • thanks for ur efforts to date  the site is improving

• and others

Once again I am sorry for the delays and problems on images. I have spent some time corresponding with the support team for the underlying software, and today on a call with them. We have tracked down an obscure bug that appears to have been causing this issue.

I have just uploaded a JPG successfully from a test account. Please do try it again.

I was sorry to see that the photography thread had stalled. I hope that this allows it to resume.

• Pass just tested the PM system it appears to be working fine now thanks 

• i'll retest

IMAGES

windows 10 latest update from windows  DELL XPS laptop

1. Fail

insert an image >upload an image

desktop PNG images produce "An error occurred Please try again or contact ......"

2. Fail

i used to be able to copy a PNG directly into a reply like this one that doesnt work either same error massage as above 

JPG pass then Failed  direct from desktop upload

JPG Fail copy and paste from clipboard into reply Fails as in 2.

GIF pass direct from desktop upload

GIF fail copy and paste from clipboard into reply Fails as in 2.

• i'll retest

IMAGES

windows 10 latest update from windows  DELL XPS laptop

1. Fail

insert an image >upload an image

desktop PNG images produce "An error occurred Please try again or contact ......"

2. Fail

i used to be able to copy a PNG directly into a reply like this one that doesnt work either same error massage as above 

JPG pass then Failed  direct from desktop upload

JGP Fail copy and paste from clipboard into reply Fails as in 2.

GIF pass direct from desktop upload

GIF fail copy and paste from clipboard into reply Fails as in 2.

• This reply was deleted.
  • This reply was deleted.
  • Hi

This thread is getting complex. My immediate response above was to a point about the Reply buttons. As discussed elsewhere in this thread, we released a fix to those last week.

We then released a fix for private messages earlier this week. That's covered in a different part of this thread, where that issue was being discussed. As with the first point, feedback on whether it's improved things is welcome.

There have been no intended changes to allowed images, and those obvious types have always been allowed. I've just uploaded this JPG to try it. However, various people have mentioned this. Hopefully someone can give me a description and details of the steps when the problem occurs, and maybe some screenshots. As ever, these can be emailed to community.manager@nas.org.uk

Hope this helps at least somewhat.

Bluebells in wood

• cut and paste from above

1. the most important breakage due to the rewrite is the Private Message system -- after 3 messages you can't read anything because they are behind the text input box. This was working fine before the update. Its now effectively useless. 

2. we need to be able to add any type of image to the forum replies. Currently we can only attach GIF images. we should also be able to add JPG and PNG  images. I have noticed that there was a marked drop in image usage in the new product and many people leave ( those into photography ) due to the limitations imposed on images.

• please fix the major issues first 

1.PM system broken 

2. inability to upload a range of image types ( this stopped the photography discussion ) 

• Just posting here that the Reply buttons fix should have addressed this. 's message above has been voted as one of the key points in the thread, so hopefully adding this response is useful as a reference.