Working From Home. Is it what it's cracked-up to be ?

Hello,

Does anyone here really enjoy working from home and if so what do you do ? 

It really hit home to me, whilst out having an early morning walk today by the river, that I would be much happier working from home. I have worked a physical job most of my life and have known a change was long overdue, for years actually. I've realised this is causing me more stress than what it's worth and I'm in the process of minimising as much stress as I can, even if it may involve a loss of income. 

I've looked around at some of the most common jobs people are doing from home but don't really interest me, like corporate companies, data-entry, sales and so on. They're just not my cup of tea. I'd much more prefer to be helpful or creative or contribute something positive in some way. I'm just wondering how to go about finding work I could do from home that could be interesting or maybe even meaningful ? 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Yes, I do enjoy working from home. I teach French and English part-time online.  I am lucky enough to be able to choose when and for how long I work (just two days a week for a couple of hours). Teaching isn't really work for me because it's something I enjoy, but it can be challenging, so I prefer to do it at home whenever possible.

I love being at home.

I work much better at home because I have prefect dominion over my environment (light and noise). When I go out, it's for fun things. I go out to enjoy a walk or a coffee with friends and family, but not for work. Not for anything that requires concentration or cognitive acrobatics.

I play piano and guitar at home too and for the past twelve months I've been composing and jamming with other musicians online in a weekly session. That has not been an enjoyable as being outside of the house with other people.

Some things are definitely better done outside of the house.

We will be going into the studio in the a few weeks time and I am looking forward to that very much. 

• WOW Michael,

That is so interesting.  One of the reasons why I'd have previously thought anyone who suggested I might be on the spectrum a year ago was bonkers, was the same reason my friend gave when I discussed it with her; "But you're so articulate.  You're a linguist.  You've taught.  You talk to people".  I have a degree in modern foreign languages, despite my dyslexia.

But I am beginning to understand now how both things might be true.  It could be that I've survived well on the spoken interactions, because they are explicit and make up for what I'm not 'reading' in other ways, I guess.  We'll see what they say when I'm assessed, I suppose.  But it's nice hear that there are others with a capacity for modern foreign languages out there, regardless of any other traits. I'm teaching myself Italian now so I can pursue my Italian family history.

Oh, and I do also do data.  I'm a data manager.

Thanks for posting this.  It's a revelation :-)

• That's really interesting to hear that you have a degree in modern languages, Dawn. French is my second passion in life after music. I have a whole theory about what attracted me to learning foreign language.

In essence, it was as if I had discovered secret codes when I was a teenager - and even at the age of 13, I went full tilt in learning both German and French. Already feeling like a stranger anyway in my small town, and already feeling like I was surrounded by strangers, it felt natural to learn these new languages. In my autistic brain, I'd come to the conclusion that I had been displaced at birth in the wrong country. Learning French (and German) was like a quest to discover my real language, hoping someday they would lead me to the place I truly belonged. As I grew older, and visited these countries, I felt so at home surrounded by different cultures and by people speaking different languages. I now know that this is how I have always felt in the UK, a foreigner. But as an adult I get to be a foreigner in the place of my own choosing.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been having major issues trying to access the forum.

• That's really interesting to hear that you have a degree in modern languages, Dawn. French is my second passion in life after music. I have a whole theory about what attracted me to learning foreign language.

In essence, it was as if I had discovered secret codes when I was a teenager - and even at the age of 13, I went full tilt in learning both German and French. Already feeling like a stranger anyway in my small town, and already feeling like I was surrounded by strangers, it felt natural to learn these new languages. In my autistic brain, I'd come to the conclusion that I had been displaced at birth in the wrong country. Learning French (and German) was like a quest to discover my real language, hoping someday they would lead me to the place I truly belonged. As I grew older, and visited these countries, I felt so at home surrounded by different cultures and by people speaking different languages. I now know that this is how I have always felt in the UK, a foreigner. But as an adult I get to be a foreigner in the place of my own choosing.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been having major issues trying to access the forum.

Children
No Data