This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Autism and sexual desire

I wondered wether there’s something in being on the autism spectrum and having reduced sexual desire-not come across anything in my reading yet so wondered what people’s experiences are? Oh and asking as a woman too. Thanks

Parents
  • Oh no, I have a lot of crushes on men. It was far, far worse when I was a teenager and in my 20s but now I'm in my 50s it's decreasing. It makes life quite fun and now I'm at the age where young men don't mind me flirting because they don't find a small greyish haired woman threatening Joy

• Oh no, I have a lot of crushes on men. It was far, far worse when I was a teenager and in my 20s but now I'm in my 50s it's decreasing. It makes life quite fun and now I'm at the age where young men don't mind me flirting because they don't find a small greyish haired woman threatening Joy

Children
  • I always used to have intense crushes that seemed irresistible.  I would even say that these dominated my waking hours throughout my fertile years.  Now, later in life, I feel as though I've reclaimed myself and am in control again.  Wonder whether my hormone levels were completely out of whack?  Or whether I couldn't differentiate between limerence and love?  As with so many aspects of life, I'm looking back and wondering, "How was I supposed to know?"

• Sorry I'm replying to myself because the reply button yet again does not appear on your comment. I've tried refreshing the page and bobbing up and down X number of times but it just isn't there.

Anyway, yes I had intense crushes, it was hard not to act on them but as I'm happily married I am proud that I never cheated. I'm glad that phase has passed, I'm losing interest in sex as I'm in my 50s now. It is indeed very messy and dehydrating.

I am fine with talking to attractive strangers but as you say, quickly lose interest.

• I used to have the most intense crushes. Not so much as an adult. I think I like the idea of romance more than actual relationships. 

I can definitely attract people and flirt, which I suppose doesn't seem that strange when you consider how much practise we get at mirroring to survive day to day. I'm quite good at switching approach to suit different people. I quite enjoy meeting new people, just not very good at maintaining interest in them!