Autism and Police involvement

Has anyone else had a negative experience with police? 

I'm only a 14 year old and I have probably had the worst interaction with police. Unfortunately, there was one incident which led to me being arrested in August 2020. At the time I hadn't been diagnosed with autism.

I used to have a problem with leaving and wandering when I was distressed. But this night was different. I was feeling suicidal due to the thoughts of no one understanding me. I guess the police were called because I was in possession of a bladed article (which I didn't completely understand was extremely illegal). 

But when the police turned up I was even more distressed and overwhelmed due to the lights in the dark and the sirens on. And I was in a confused state at the time so I wasn't completely aware of what they were saying. (Usually people talk in simple short sentences rather than paragraphs). I guess the police didn't understand I was on the spectrum so when I did what they told me to do, they obviously put handcuffs on me which was a problem if you hate things touching you unless it's a firm deep pressure touch. Due to that I starting kicking and became anxious because I din't have a clue was was happening and what was going to happen (and if you're like me, you like things to be predictable or a warning of change).I was then arrested for many things and taken into custody. I didn't understand the law much last year but now I do luckily. One other thing which upset me was my routine was ruined. 

Has anyone else had a negative experience with police, due to them not fully understanding what autism is or the main signs?

I'm sorry if you have. I've never really been able to tell anyone this since I would be labelled as 'the naughty child'. I hope you guys understand.  

Parents
  • Sorry you had that experience. I've suffered police brutality simply from crossing the wrong police on the wrong day and at other times it was more from my own resistance.  You get get and bad on all sides of the equation.  Body language lessons and serial packed courses in de-escalation methodologies kind of fall apart when dealing with either mentally challenged and or neurological alternate individuals.  That said there is a move to improve upon these dynamics within the police force.  I live in Australia and not long ago one of our states police force has teamed up to launch a new Autism Awareness initiative to help individuals with Autism when they encounter any situations with police and first responders.

There is a card being implemented for ASD individuals called the 'Autism Alert Card.'  Whilst I am not a fan of the term I am all for the awareness campaign and hope that it will soon spread nation wide. 

I'm thinking of getting one as my traits are getting worse as I get older and struggle to functioning in public.  Thankfully its been a long time since police intervention.  Current I have a support worker 4 times a week and see a therapist weekly.  

I am very compliant due to having been beaten into submission on previous accessions.  Like I say - good and bad on all sides of the equation.  Since being compliant (fear) it's hard not to be misread on other fronts regardless of the fear factor.  The traits of ASD make it very challenging situation.  Police are very much entrenched in Stigma and it shows when individuals raise the topic of their disability. I note that has not been the case for some commenting here, however I am 50+ and have a heavy past dealing many times with the police and it's been my experience that stigma and power mongering have ended up with many corrupts dealings where the need for a refocus on mental health and other invisible disability awareness campaigns have been called for.  

I do all I can to avoid them due to the stigma I have been shown.  It only takes a few bad experiences to undermine all the good efforts of others.  That said, I think I will get an alert card all the same despite not living in a state that is not part of the awareness program.  Communicating issues related to ASD does seem to hold more water than my mental health issues.  Sadly the latter is often met with rolled eyes which only drives down my sense of worth.

Regardless I do my best to smile when I see them and just play along.  I now find myself having to call upon them as I get older and more venerable, car accidents, noise complaints and so on.  I've learned to tow the line but yes - my automated behavior is often misread and when you get the wrong cops on the job it can end badly regardless of being pushed around or not.  More often than not I stutter and show visible signs that I am not your average bear.  I just need to hold it together so they don't lose the plot.  Refrain from mentioning depression, anxiety, phobias as they really care less for such things - dime a dozen with them, however Autism in Australia has ended up in a few televised beatings.  

Things are improving but nothing beats learning how not to react to uniformed trigger happy police.  Status and demographic no doubt count as well.  Never happened to me.  I find them really great etc ... That's why they call it a spectrum.  Here in Australia it has been an issue. 

Here's to more encouraging episodes for those of us that do struggle in this arena. 

• Thanks for your advice, I've now got a card explaining I'm on the spectrum which I have on me 24/7. It's great to use during a shutdown in public or just in general. 

Reply Children
No Data