If you are working, what careers are you in?

I'd like to find a job that doesn't make me constantly overstimulated, overwhelmed and fatigued, but is also intellectually challenging. I absolutely love learning. Has anyone found a role that works for them?

• Dropped out off college as was home less at the time , had a couple of low paid jobs in the late 80s , just could not cope with the pressure of routine and mixing with people , so have worked for myself , Good at see opportunity ,started importing niche furniture from india ,them bought and sold land ,If you get over 12 acres you get permitted planning to build barn ,then can live on land for 5 years to build it ,so just put up log cabin and sold on ,then did again and again, Then built a farm on 30 acres ,then started on houses.  It is nice helping make peoples dreams come true , eg living in a log cabin in the middle of 6 acres surrounded by orchards and  flower meadows . 

Sort of lost now would like to do something new ?

• Usually something with systems, working alone and no disturbances. A little authority comes in handy to.

• I did well with the structure of School. However, I had little capability of thinking outside the box. I was overdependent on notes. Research wasn't in my zeitgeist until Google came along.

• I feel that way, myself.

Austerity for those who want work, but Audis for those who want Benefits.

Now, I've declared myself unfit for work. Just in time for my next PIP form.

• As the time is counting down, I'm actually getting much more annoyed and emotionally unstable at the injustice of it all.

• That's such a bummer. I hope at least planning life 2.0 brought you some joy. And hope you're finding some value in things again at the moment, or some sense of serenity.

• Sounds like a pleasant job.  Just an aside, I knew someone who gave up being a postman because he had been bitten by dogs numerous times while delivering mail. Just out of interest, are dogs a problem for you or your collegues?

• We've worked really hard for life 2.0 - almost finished the house, daughter finished education, finances all set - then they gave me 6 months.  Disappointed    It's going to be life 2.1 for my wife & daughter.

• Yes, I work as a company director.

Like everyone I'm good at some bits and got blind spots on others. AS gives me long term thinking, joining up the dots intuitively, curiosity and constant thirst to learn and improve, zero interest in power or status, and other things. My codirector really appreciates my AS traits, and we complement each other.  She's very NT but introverted, so does lots of the people work, though i do some too, esp analysing NTs motivations and firing the difficult ones.

• I'm excited for you. I had my Shirley Valentine moment when I turned 47 and have talked about life 2.0 ever since. "Now or never" is my mantra and I'm excited about what life has to offer. Life can be an open horizon even going into old age with the right role models and mental models. 

• I'm an early years SENCO

• so true,

"dont use autism as an exuse"    (Temple Grandin ) 

• Thanks , that is something I really needed to hear and my takeaway for today. Relaxed

• Don't let your autism define your career prospects. 

Society tends to pigeon hole people with autism and maintaining very low expectations for us. 

I've worked as a company director and senior management for many years. Some aspects really suit me, others take a bit more effort and support from colleagues.  I know other people with autism who have been at the top of their organisations. Like every job I've ever had there are good things and bad things about this area. 

Never use your autism as a starting point to close down ambition and aspiration. 

• I thought that about the job too.

But it comforts me to remember that humans ARE predators. That's just how humans behave. That's why humans are on the top of the food chain and control the world. Humans have nothing that preys on us now, so we prey on each other. Or rather, those without consciences prey on other humans and can't control their predatory instincts.

• Yes. I don't notice the political or social skills they use. I just treat everyone the same: politely and bluntly. Apparently this is wrong and I should bow down to people higher than me and treat people lower than me like sh1t. I can't understand that mentality.

• I think it's a sign of intelligence: you've learned all you're going to learn in a job, so move on instead of getting stuck vegetating in the same old job for years.

• I think, as I said, I desperately need to move out of this tiny village, where everyone was born here and lived here all their lives. It's like Stepford.

3 more years til my daughter finishes her education, then we'll be free and can move around. Hopefully covid will have ended by then too. 3 more years. I'm hanging my hopes on that. Moving to a bigger town with new horizons, a fresh start. The cry of the mum/wife since time began: when is it my turn? Rolling eyes

• Oh what a tradgegy, and such a tradgic end to what sounds like a marvellous year attending to the children and helping them flourish.I always do great with kids which I've found odd cos i,m the least interested in them, but i see them as people rather than objects so treat them with respect and curiosity and i think this is what they respond to. I hope your dream cones true for a jewellery shop.

• Oh gosh, that's me. I see nothing until they make their killer move. And even then I'm all forgiveness, tolerance and indulgence. I don't get angry though I may get upset and disappointed.

I wonder what goes on in their heads, if they get conscious satisfaction, if it's a thing they feel in their body, what the emotions are, desire, pride, satisfaction, ... .