Christmas is on the way

I love Christmas I can’t wait Christmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas tree Christmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeTadaTadaTadaChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas treeChristmas tree

Parents
  • Bah Humbug.

I hate the modern version of Xmass  because the cost of the present seems to be important.

Also 12, yes 12 days of Christmas.Rage

• What about all the delicious food.

• Makes you fat, not good for the diabetes.

I don't like turkey, cranberry, parsnips or sprouts.

I'm glad you and others really enjoy it. I do like it but it's the peer pressure to enjoy it. Innocent

• I'm recreating my childhood - I built the Airfix Tornado (MRCA) model back in 1975 and always wanted to do it better as an adult.     Same with the Vigilante.     The Eagle and Prowler are ones I've not done before and were cheap on ebay.       I still want the old Airfix Phantom, Buccaneer and Thunderstreak models - again, I built them as a young child without all the skills, techniques and materials I have now and I want to do a better job.   I built the Matchbox Jaguar back in the day but I wasn't keen on the kit.

I'm building models that have no propellers so they're a bit more robust and duster-resistant.  Smiley

As an incentive to get through the chemo and improve, I have a *free* vintage Matchbox Flower Class Corvette kit promised to me.  Smiley

• You have no taste - Tornado?

I was in Germany working on the Jags when they were introduced. I had nearly completed my 3 year tour but because the Tornado was so good, not, that they extended my tour by a year.

So who's the vigilante prowler looking for an eagle.?

• We make a whole day of it - I'm always up first - I get the room ready and make a selection of classic Christmas songs to be running in the background so when the others are up we sort out the presents & cards and do a slow opening - we mainly buy toys for each other - Lego, Airfix etc. and after breakfast we wander down to the canal to feed the ducks & swans - they seem neglected at this time of year so are very friendly - up on the towpath taking it carefully from our hands.     Smiley

Then it's, like I said, preparation of our individual dinners and then an afternoon of playing with our toys on the living room floor with some cheesy films on tv.   Smiley    My wife had the Lego trainset a couple of years ago - took up the whole floor!  Smiley

This year is a bit odd - I might not see Christmas so I'm being slowly drip-fed presents randomly - I've almost finished a vintage Airfix Panavia Tornado model and I've got a load more coming.    (I know of an EA6b, F15c and an RA5c -nerd test - coming my way)

• Completely agree, I hate Valentines day so so much. And making Christmas this exhausting, massive build-up over two months that culminates in one hour of tearing open too many presents is just so anti-climatic.

And then I read about how it used to be celebrated from Christmas Day to Twelfth Night and I get a little bit jealous - it seems so much more fulfilling, enjoyable and community-focused. 

• Thank you Woseley1800 for your post. I quite agree that there is nothing worse than having it rammed down our throats that we must be happy and spend money we do not have. Christmas is what you make it not what others tell you. 

• I know what you mean - I prefer a simple Christmas doing what *we* want to do - which is really hard because my sister is under the delusion that we are some close-knit East-End family - we're not - so she keeps trying to control Christmas and force us to comply - it fails every year,

This year might be very strange - she had her nose out of joint over something last year so no present for our daughter and no cards for us - repeated for my birthday too so I thought she'd finally got the message.     Unfortunately, my diagnosis means *she* can't cope so she's trying to remotely smother me,     I feel this could get ugly.  Smiley

• I actually have not said I do not enjoy Christmas I just don't like the modern commercial 'what you got me'. People sending cards and wishes because it's the done thing. Having it rammed down our throats from mid November. It is basically a totally false.  Rage

My perfect Christmas is 12 days long with my friends and family I like. But that is what I like ALL year so what is the difference.

It's like Valentines day. Valentines day originally was not for people who are loved up but for single people. Why should I be special to my other half one day a year when I should be like that all year.

ImpImp

• If you're not enjoying something, you're doing it wrong!   Smiley

What would be your perfect Christmas?   

I'm no fan of Turkey (too dry), sprouts (why?) etc.  so we do each have our own dinner tailored for each of us - normally a fillet steak and anything goes - French fries & mushrooms or full Sunday roast or combination of whatever feels right on the day.

• If you're not enjoying something, you're doing it wrong!   Smiley

What would be your perfect Christmas?   

I'm no fan of Turkey (too dry), sprouts (why?) etc.  so we do each have our own dinner tailored for each of us - normally a fillet steak and anything goes - French fries & mushrooms or full Sunday roast or combination of whatever feels right on the day.

Children
  • I'm recreating my childhood - I built the Airfix Tornado (MRCA) model back in 1975 and always wanted to do it better as an adult.     Same with the Vigilante.     The Eagle and Prowler are ones I've not done before and were cheap on ebay.       I still want the old Airfix Phantom, Buccaneer and Thunderstreak models - again, I built them as a young child without all the skills, techniques and materials I have now and I want to do a better job.   I built the Matchbox Jaguar back in the day but I wasn't keen on the kit.

I'm building models that have no propellers so they're a bit more robust and duster-resistant.  Smiley

As an incentive to get through the chemo and improve, I have a *free* vintage Matchbox Flower Class Corvette kit promised to me.  Smiley

• You have no taste - Tornado?

I was in Germany working on the Jags when they were introduced. I had nearly completed my 3 year tour but because the Tornado was so good, not, that they extended my tour by a year.

So who's the vigilante prowler looking for an eagle.?

• We make a whole day of it - I'm always up first - I get the room ready and make a selection of classic Christmas songs to be running in the background so when the others are up we sort out the presents & cards and do a slow opening - we mainly buy toys for each other - Lego, Airfix etc. and after breakfast we wander down to the canal to feed the ducks & swans - they seem neglected at this time of year so are very friendly - up on the towpath taking it carefully from our hands.     Smiley

Then it's, like I said, preparation of our individual dinners and then an afternoon of playing with our toys on the living room floor with some cheesy films on tv.   Smiley    My wife had the Lego trainset a couple of years ago - took up the whole floor!  Smiley

This year is a bit odd - I might not see Christmas so I'm being slowly drip-fed presents randomly - I've almost finished a vintage Airfix Panavia Tornado model and I've got a load more coming.    (I know of an EA6b, F15c and an RA5c -nerd test - coming my way)

• Completely agree, I hate Valentines day so so much. And making Christmas this exhausting, massive build-up over two months that culminates in one hour of tearing open too many presents is just so anti-climatic.

And then I read about how it used to be celebrated from Christmas Day to Twelfth Night and I get a little bit jealous - it seems so much more fulfilling, enjoyable and community-focused. 

• Thank you Woseley1800 for your post. I quite agree that there is nothing worse than having it rammed down our throats that we must be happy and spend money we do not have. Christmas is what you make it not what others tell you. 

• I know what you mean - I prefer a simple Christmas doing what *we* want to do - which is really hard because my sister is under the delusion that we are some close-knit East-End family - we're not - so she keeps trying to control Christmas and force us to comply - it fails every year,

This year might be very strange - she had her nose out of joint over something last year so no present for our daughter and no cards for us - repeated for my birthday too so I thought she'd finally got the message.     Unfortunately, my diagnosis means *she* can't cope so she's trying to remotely smother me,     I feel this could get ugly.  Smiley

• I actually have not said I do not enjoy Christmas I just don't like the modern commercial 'what you got me'. People sending cards and wishes because it's the done thing. Having it rammed down our throats from mid November. It is basically a totally false.  Rage

My perfect Christmas is 12 days long with my friends and family I like. But that is what I like ALL year so what is the difference.

It's like Valentines day. Valentines day originally was not for people who are loved up but for single people. Why should I be special to my other half one day a year when I should be like that all year.

ImpImp