Misdiagnoses = late autism diagnosis

Hello I’ve been thinking since I got diagnosed with autism a couple of weeks ago at the age of 34. I keep wondering if it was missed though the years and diagnosed as something else when I was a child I was diagnosed with depression I’m pretty sure I wasn’t depressed. One doctor in my 20’s said I got be bipolar I’m definitely not one thing that was diagnosed probably was my OCD even then in the therapy my therapist would ask me questions such as what’s the reason behind you tapping your foot 5 times in a row what are you worried about and when I told her I just do it when nervous/excited she accused me of lying about it she didn’t even think it might have been an autistic stim? 

anyone else had these types of experience.

Parents
  • I was diagnosed with depression in my 20s, and saw a psychologist for it but didn't get that much it of it so stopped going. Always felt that diagnosis didn't really feel right with me but it is what it is.

I'm 37 now. There are a lot of things over the years and in school that I think would have been picked up on these days compared to when I was a kid.

• I hope you get your answer soon when you do it’s a relief.

Reply Children
No Data