Diagnosis report

So I have finally received the full diagnosis report. To be honest, it has been a shock to see all of my deficiencies all laid bare.  I'm not sure how to react. 

I'm feeling happy and sad. There's a certain amount of anger and resentment. 

There are times I wish I hadn't, gon through the process. 

• Thank you all, I had a tough day yesterday. I’m ok now. 

Seeing the positives now and beginning to see the benefits of being a super hero lol. 

• I had both a bit of a laugh and a cry reading my diagnostic report. Giggles of relief I think, like finding out apparently I have limited facial expressions (...oh, so that's why people are always asking me if I'm okay! Haha...). And there wasn't anything I disagreed with or that was a shock, a few things that were 'I didn't know I did that...oh no wait...now I think about it, that sounds about right...' but reading a long list of my 'deficiencies' was a bit upsetting, especially when it came down to my people skills, and I remember messaging my sister in a moment when I was feeling a bit down and saying 'why do people put up with me?' :( It's definitely normal to feel a bit up and down (overall my diagnosis was still very positive). I think I read it through, and then possibly glanced over some bits again, and other than that I put it away with all my other important documents and that was that. Other than detailing that yes, I do tick all the boxes and am definitely autistic, it's otherwise not a huge amount of use to me, it's only a tiny snapshot of me and my autism (and doesn't include all the ways it also makes me fabulous!)

• Thanks! you make my day better with your positivity.

• It's a bit like the theory of evolution... all of nature now makes sense, but god died... 

I love this analogy

• It's a bit of a mourning process. Take enough time to let it sink in and read a lot about it and watch youtube-video's and such.

It's a bit like the theory of evolution... all of nature now makes sense, but god died... 

What changed a lot for me, before I used to think I was able to estimate how people think, but that usually proved to be wrong. Now I have a more neutral stance towards people and their expectations. 

It's like I realised for myself that I can't be a good judge for people's minds, and therefore I will still think and guess, but I will think twice about following through with actions. And that really helped.

It's like a built-in thermometer that gives wrong readings, I covered the thing with tape so I don't get confused by it.

• I went through pretty much the same when I read my final report. It almost felt like I was nothing but a long list of impairments (although o  reflection a couple of months down the line my report was beautiful written and balanced as to the strengths and difficulties). For a while it also seemed to make my difficulties worse perhaps because I was more aware of them. 

I was also pleased though.... That finally it had been recognised! That I wasn't a fraud and that objective assessment had confirmed what I had known for a while....

From reading other experiences on this forum I think it is common to feel conflicted. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to process this new information. Remember we are always here on this community if you want some support. 

• I went through pretty much the same when I read my final report. It almost felt like I was nothing but a long list of impairments (although o  reflection a couple of months down the line my report was beautiful written and balanced as to the strengths and difficulties). For a while it also seemed to make my difficulties worse perhaps because I was more aware of them. 

I was also pleased though.... That finally it had been recognised! That I wasn't a fraud and that objective assessment had confirmed what I had known for a while....

From reading other experiences on this forum I think it is common to feel conflicted. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to process this new information. Remember we are always here on this community if you want some support.