Diagnosis

Hello all,

I've decided to get an assessment for ASD after several years of on and off discussions with family and also some discussions with a therapist about it.

Can you please help me to understand what kind of accreditation or assurances that I need to look for when choosing and organisation for the assessment.

For example, I've identified a local organisation called "Spectrumnorthwest" who provide ASD assessments, and who appear to be based on a few minutes drive from me, so it would be very convenient to use them, but I've no idea how to confirm that they are an recognised authority in this area.

I'm also aware that the National Autistic Society themselves have their own service but I think the locations are pretty far away from where I live (North West England).

How would I go about choosing?  I don't have an issue with travelling if needed, but obviously a nearby location would be more convenient.

I should probably clarify that I'm a 51 year old adult who has suspected that I have some level of autism for quite a few years.  However it hasn't left me unable to function in any external way, and probably many unqualified people around me wouldn't even notice anything except that sometimes and in some situations I might do or say things that seem slightly "off".

Therefore I don't really need an "official certificate of proof of ADS" or something like that which I can use to access expensive support services or benefits or such - for me it's more about finding out in detail why I am like I am, if that makes sense.

I am able to pay for this and I'm aware of the approximate prices (or at least what they were a couple of years ago).

cheers

Parents
  • Hello Javert

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice  around this type of enquiry. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction to be able to clarify if services you have found are accredited or not. 

You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Best Wishes

Lorraine Mod

• Hello Javert

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice  around this type of enquiry. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction to be able to clarify if services you have found are accredited or not. 

You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Best Wishes

Lorraine Mod

Children
No Data