Ways to Cope

Covid-19 has disrupted many peoples lives and some are not lucky enough to be here so I have found it difficult to communicate my struggles while there are people worse off , I just felt I wasn’t entitled to be finding things hard.

I still do feel that I dont have the right to be unhappy and think this is why I have took it out on myslef. Everything is just different so I have no routine and seem to be thinking about the rules and who’s breaking them and am I doing it right all the time it is just really exhausting. I have engaged in some self harm which I am ashamed of but at the time it really helped me cope, whilst I am sat thinking about how silly I have been it has got me thinking if self harm is something common within autism. I have never done this until a couple of years ago something happened which felt like my world fell apart and this was something that helped, at the time I hadn’t got my diagnosis. 

I think what I am trying to ask is does anybody else do this?, why would I suddenly do this out of the blue if it is a trait of my autism and also if you have done this have you found something else that helps instead. I just feel a little lost at the min and whilst I have no intention of doing something ultra dangerous I do worry things could progress later down the line.

sorry for the ramble, I am finding it difficult to articulate things at the min 

Parents
  • Hi , If you are feeling thoughts of s/h please just talk to someone ,the samaritans can help just to talk or contact your mental health team .

I am constantly bumping into things and cutting myself by mistake but that is part of the spacial awareness difficulty some of us have   .

I did have really bad depression with dark thoughts ,but talking therapy has helped me build a strong toolkit in my mind to combat those deep dark thoughts when they surface .

I am on the 2nd round of cbt post diagnosis and all my therapist is doing is teaching me to meditate ,this has been my eureka moment as when my mind fell silent for the first time It was a very very very very very nice place to be .

Take care x

• Hi Symon

im clumsy too, I always bump into things and fall over. I just laugh now and so do my friends.

the S/H is something that I was once accused of a few years back when I had a tough time and my dr told me it was a good way to deal with things. I took their advice and when I got things wrong I used it to punish myself. I haven’t done anything for years but feel I keep making mistakes with all these new rules so have started punishing myself again, I understood from what dr said this is what autistic people do but I never did it previously. I have always been autistic just notbdiagnosed  

• Hi Symon

im clumsy too, I always bump into things and fall over. I just laugh now and so do my friends.

the S/H is something that I was once accused of a few years back when I had a tough time and my dr told me it was a good way to deal with things. I took their advice and when I got things wrong I used it to punish myself. I haven’t done anything for years but feel I keep making mistakes with all these new rules so have started punishing myself again, I understood from what dr said this is what autistic people do but I never did it previously. I have always been autistic just notbdiagnosed  

Children
No Data