Appearing intimidating when you don't mean to be

Be quite tall and well built . Add a loud voice that gets louder when you're passionate about something( my voice just seems normal to me in terms of loudness) .

If I'm honest the voice thing perplexes me . I've had quite a few times when I've been asked to repeat things or people have misheard what I've said . Were they all hard of hearing? Was I talking too softly ? Perhaps my diction is bad ?

Parents

• Be quite tall and well built . Add a loud voice that gets louder when you're passionate about something( my voice just seems normal to me in terms of loudness) .

Press one ear canal shut whilst speaking and become aware of how loud you are speaking as otherwise you may deafen not only yourself but also other people. It may also be worth checking that you are not becoming hard of hearing by sound checking with others or even by going for a hearing check.

If I'm honest the voice thing perplexes me . I've had quite a few times when I've been asked to repeat things or people have misheard what I've said . Were they all hard of hearing? Was I talking too softly ? Perhaps my diction is bad ?

It may be as is quite often the case that context blindness is involved, such as the "Being sent to Coventry!" expression that you used recently that alludes to 'being ignored' ~ that was not in general contextually understood by the Community. As such, the vast majority of people do not have anything close to the same experiential history and intellectual sensibilities as others, and the more removed someone is from a given culture the less likely they are to understand and therefor comprehend the inherent meanings of that culture.

• I've done a few online tests , and non flag up a hearing problem . I have the tv sound at  8-9 .

Reply Children

• I'd really struggle to divide my volume range like that .

Maybe just go for three volume ranges, i.e., low, medium and high volumes sort of thing?

• I'd really struggle to divide my volume range like that .

• I've done a few online tests , and non flag up a hearing problem . I have the tv sound at  8-9 .

Well that's good to read. It seems that learning the internal sense of hearing so that you do not exceed it externally is the required path perhaps, as it is not unusual that people do not realize that they have a considerably raised volume of voice because they have gotten used to it ~ hence that thing where people yell "I AM NOT SHOUTING!" at the top of their voice such as I did myself. I used to for instance have the nickname of "Foghorn" when I was younger, and about twenty years ago as means to moderate the volume of my voice I divided my vocalization up into seven volume ranges, and have learnt since to keep it at four out of seven whilst conversing with people.