Autism and music

Hi

I'm a woman with Aspergers Syndrome. Of course, I'm sure I've made a post similar to this before, but I haven't been on hear for quite a while so I just feel like I need to recap. I was diagnosed at about 6/7 years old, and have known for a long that there was something remarkably different about me. But to be honest, I'm quite glad I am. It makes feel like I don't have try to please or impress everyone. All in all, I think I'm quite proud of who I am. I mean, yes of course I know certain quirks, flaws and maybe one or two habits I need to break, but all in all, I'm pretty ok.

My situation isn't perfect though. Far from it in fact. I graduated from university back in July, and I'm still not any closer to finding a job on a permanent or long-term basis. All I'm doing right now is volunteering at my local theatre, and that's only once a week. I know it's good experience for me; it's something to put on my CV and I can gain another reference, but it would be really useful if I got some work that will help me progress both professionally and personally. You see, I graduated with a music degree, and I definitely want to put it to use. Ideally, I would to go into music education, either as a music teacher or a music therapist. I would also like to fit in performing somewhere along the line as well. But, if I'm perfectly honest, I'm not sure where to start with in terms of my musical abilities. Let me tell you, I'm no virtuoso, that's for sure. I definitely like I've let them slip for quite a while, even when I was at university. I play the piano, clarinet and voice. I definitely improve my abilities on all three of these and maybe also take up another instrument sometime in the future, preferably the saxophone. I had to play it for a module during a BTEC Music course 5 years ago. I've got no clue though how to set up a practice routine for all these instruments. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to comment below. I'm still a pretty decent musician though; I'm good at musical improvisation and have the gift of perfect pitch. It's come in very handy with other skills such as aural listening and transposing.

Are there any other musicians on here? Please comment below about any musical experiences you've had and what special abilities you have, I'd love to hear them.

Parents
  • Hi

nice to see a music thread. i'm at work though, so can't jump right in today.

I play piano , flute, guitar and drums and i can't read music but i play by ear.  I self taught from the age of 4. I see music in 3 d shapes (like Mr Plastic ) , it's a kind of geometry with keys and chords, whereas melody lines are like graphlines.

My fingers can't do as skillfully what my brain wants them to do but given i work a lot, I can't complain. My skill recovers quickly when i start playing again.

I have been really obsessed with music at times, and I've chosen not to work in music because (a) i can't teach anyone to play like i do and (b) i would probably have a really unhealthy lifestyle where the day and night never end but just blur into one another. 

I don't particularly like other people listening to me but i have performed in a band . i like to jam, providing others can play by ear or have their own chords / whatever

I'm really tired these days as we have a huge pressure at work, so i'm quite depressed due to having to stay away from my love of music for some time . When i do jump in, i immerse myself and don't come out for ages. it swallows me whole. I miss having any friends to jam.

People often try to get me to read music but i can't.  I see the music, so i can't both see the sound and the notes, they would get in the way of one another. I tell people I'm musically dyslexic. 

• I should really tell people I'm musically dyspraxic. I can't seem to process mental inputs and outputs rapidly enough to even begin to look slightly competent. (Yet another Cubs badge that never happened!) And yet I'm fascinated by most things avant-garde or experimental.

• I should really tell people I'm musically dyspraxic. I can't seem to process mental inputs and outputs rapidly enough to even begin to look slightly competent. (Yet another Cubs badge that never happened!) And yet I'm fascinated by most things avant-garde or experimental.

Children
No Data