*Autistic Shutdowns collection* - Do you experience these ?

Hi

I have been trying to work out if I am experiencing Shutdowns, I am still not sure 

I have been trying to find information online but its pretty unspecific. Very few videos about it either.

If you experience shutdowns, please

1. list the symptoms
  2. describe the process you experience
  3. describe how you feel afterwards please
  4. what triggers it / is there always a trigger ?

I want to determine if I am indeed experiencing shutdowns.  

Get your experiences added to this collection  Thumbsup.

Thanks for any responses,advice,ideas

Parents
  • Retreat inside of myself, become very rigid movements. Become non-verbal, and/or can only seem to grunt responses. will tend to look more downward than I did before. But that isn’t always noticble as I tend to look down. But the rigid movements mean i’ll Move my head much less, More likely to look at the same spot for longer periods of time. Will slow down generally but then can very quickly burst away from the scene if there is an escape. 

Very different to a meltdown, but can be triggered by the same things that cause a meltdown. Why one day it’ll be a shutdown and another day it’ll be a meltdown i’m Not entirely sure.  Thing she like a sudden change in routine, general stress that has built up...

other triggers that never lead to meltdowns and only to shutdowns are social intrusions from strangers, embarrassment, and being around people who have boisterous, unpredictable behaviour. Being unsure on what the tone of voice meant, if the tone sounded like a ‘telling off’ and at the same time i’m Not entirely sure what i’ve Done wrong then I will always tend to go into shutdown mode. 

My shutdowns can, if prolonged enough, lead to the opposite end where I have a meltdown. Sometimes it seems the meltdown is a phase I have to go through before I recover from the shutdown. 

• Retreat inside of myself, become very rigid movements. Become non-verbal, and/or can only seem to grunt responses. will tend to look more downward than I did before. But that isn’t always noticble as I tend to look down. But the rigid movements mean i’ll Move my head much less, More likely to look at the same spot for longer periods of time. Will slow down generally but then can very quickly burst away from the scene if there is an escape. 

Very different to a meltdown, but can be triggered by the same things that cause a meltdown. Why one day it’ll be a shutdown and another day it’ll be a meltdown i’m Not entirely sure.  Thing she like a sudden change in routine, general stress that has built up...

other triggers that never lead to meltdowns and only to shutdowns are social intrusions from strangers, embarrassment, and being around people who have boisterous, unpredictable behaviour. Being unsure on what the tone of voice meant, if the tone sounded like a ‘telling off’ and at the same time i’m Not entirely sure what i’ve Done wrong then I will always tend to go into shutdown mode. 

My shutdowns can, if prolonged enough, lead to the opposite end where I have a meltdown. Sometimes it seems the meltdown is a phase I have to go through before I recover from the shutdown. 

Children