Why

Over the last few weeks and months, I have been asking my self the question. Why my parents didn't seek diagnosis while I was a child. I saw many educational psychologists and other professionals. 

I got through so many pencils, because I used to chew them, my concentration levels at school was poor (it still is). I started school in the late 70's, even at an early age i was struggling, from what i can remember even before I started school there were problems. 

I remember having the struggles of being singled out because my work wasn't up to scratch.  

I'm now 47 and stuck on a waiting list that is making me feel anxious. 

Parents
  • Hi. As the mum of an 8yr old son who has this year been diagnosed with ASD, ADHD and dyspraxia I can only share that it has taken us years to get a diagnosis. In preschool I was told my concerns were nothing to worry about. Since starting school there have been many appointments, assessments and form filling. It was a battle to even be accepted into a waiting list with a paediatrician. I am a confident, professional woman, working as midwife and it’s taken years of determination to get the diagnosis I feel was needed. It has started the ball rolling to get adequate support in school for him and for me to best understand my son and help him achieve his full potential. That said, I still at times wonder if I have done the right thing pursuing a diagnosis.

I am reasonably sure my younger brother is autistic and likely dyspraxia also. He had no assessments or diagnosis as a child growing up in a rural area in the 80/90s. He has been to uni and is now very successful in his work (IT) in London. I’m very proud of him. He has been interested to hear about his nephews diagnosis but I have not asked him if he thinks he may be autistic as don’t know how he would feel about this. My Mum has told me she wished she knew more about autism years ago. There was no internet to go google his quirks. No suggestions were ever given by health visitor, doctors or school. I think pre-internet, with little or no information or support it must have been almost impossible to get a diagnosis. It is still difficult these days! 

• Hi. As the mum of an 8yr old son who has this year been diagnosed with ASD, ADHD and dyspraxia I can only share that it has taken us years to get a diagnosis. In preschool I was told my concerns were nothing to worry about. Since starting school there have been many appointments, assessments and form filling. It was a battle to even be accepted into a waiting list with a paediatrician. I am a confident, professional woman, working as midwife and it’s taken years of determination to get the diagnosis I feel was needed. It has started the ball rolling to get adequate support in school for him and for me to best understand my son and help him achieve his full potential. That said, I still at times wonder if I have done the right thing pursuing a diagnosis.

I am reasonably sure my younger brother is autistic and likely dyspraxia also. He had no assessments or diagnosis as a child growing up in a rural area in the 80/90s. He has been to uni and is now very successful in his work (IT) in London. I’m very proud of him. He has been interested to hear about his nephews diagnosis but I have not asked him if he thinks he may be autistic as don’t know how he would feel about this. My Mum has told me she wished she knew more about autism years ago. There was no internet to go google his quirks. No suggestions were ever given by health visitor, doctors or school. I think pre-internet, with little or no information or support it must have been almost impossible to get a diagnosis. It is still difficult these days! 

Children
No Data