Why

Over the last few weeks and months, I have been asking my self the question. Why my parents didn't seek diagnosis while I was a child. I saw many educational psychologists and other professionals. 

I got through so many pencils, because I used to chew them, my concentration levels at school was poor (it still is). I started school in the late 70's, even at an early age i was struggling, from what i can remember even before I started school there were problems. 

I remember having the struggles of being singled out because my work wasn't up to scratch.  

I'm now 47 and stuck on a waiting list that is making me feel anxious. 

Parents
  • There's probably a few reasons why. Autism wasn't so widely known about 40 years ago. I've also asked myself why I wasn't put forward for assessment as a child - I had selective mutism throughout childhood and most teenage years. But even now that might not be picked up for ASD assessment. I also have an eccentric family, so it's possible this was seen as normal behaviour. What's the problem with a quiet child I suppose. Perhaps you're behaviour wasn't seen as abnormal in your family? 

• There's probably a few reasons why. Autism wasn't so widely known about 40 years ago. I've also asked myself why I wasn't put forward for assessment as a child - I had selective mutism throughout childhood and most teenage years. But even now that might not be picked up for ASD assessment. I also have an eccentric family, so it's possible this was seen as normal behaviour. What's the problem with a quiet child I suppose. Perhaps you're behaviour wasn't seen as abnormal in your family? 

Children
No Data