Autism and Midwifery

So I was really lucky and I got on the midwifery program at my local university. I really struggled and everything became too much. When my dad had a serious car accident I used this as a reason to escape as I was just so overwhelmed! Unbeknownst to me my autism was the reason for this and I just felt I needed to go back to what I knew because midwifery was new and so scary I couldn’t cope. Is it possible to go back and be successful??  Thoughts?? 

• I’m just going to go for it! NOTHING to lose trying to follow my dreams! 

• I’m still mulling it over but I will most likely look into it. Im still waiting for my diagnosis so it’s a waiting game for now.

• I’m still mulling it over. It exhausted me and the support was next to none! 

• Yes! Use the course as a chance to find out what you struggle with so you know what will work best for you when you graduate. For example, I'm pregnant and find my hospital appts cause sensory overload, so I wouldn't be able to work in that environment. I could be a community midwife as I find GP practices much calmer and as I see the midwife 1:1, I'm led to believe she has greater control of her environment so will be able to set it up to meet her needs. I've just finished teaching on a one-to-one basis and as a RA had lamps in my office so I didn't have to use the strip lighting, this helps me immensely. 

If you've already tried uni once and know what overwhelms you your already in a great position to put in place adjustments that will help. 

If I was you I'd email or meet the relevant disability advisor at the uni's your interested in studying at to discuss your needs and how they can help. Some uni's will be a lot more supportive than others.

• If midwifery is what you want to do, you should go for it, 

you could be entitled to support through the university if you let them know your diagnosis 

let me know how you get on, I've always wanted t be a nurse, I did start a course but then my eating disorder got in the way (I didn't have  my diagnosis at the time) what's stopping me go back to it, is the fact I think it's a require on the course to do night shifts and I know from previous experience that night shifts are not for me as I ended up in A and E with severe physical and mental exhaustion