Assessment tomorrow!!

I've posted before under a NAS username and told myself I wouldnt post on here again until I chose a new username, then I couldn't decide what to call myself so I just didn't post. Sorry. I promise I'll contribute more now rather than just asking for support from you all all the time. 

Having said that...here I am posting for support again! I have my assessment tomorrow and I'm getting very, very nervous. I've gone back and forth a lot over the past 3 years about whether I am autistic or not and I'm currently feeling that I am not and that I'm probably just a hypochondriac/drama queen who wishes neurodevelopmental disorders on herself. 

I haven't done any prep work like sending in reams of info about myself, etc, even though I really wanted to, because I felt like it would just stress me out more. I've decided just to go along, answer the questions, do the tests and see what happens. 

I'm sure a lot of you felt like this about your assessments? What did you do that helped? What helped calm any assessment anxieties? 

Parents
  • I have massive anxieties about my impending assessment. Hope yours goes ok anyway! 

• Thanks Murmu. Hope all goes well with your assessment when it comes around. 

It all was very very different to how I expected. They didn't interview my parent separately, we all just sat in a room together and I was asked a lot of questions and then at the end they said they would bring me back in in a month for a more in-depth interview and to do tasks etc. Then they went out of the room for a bit and when they came back they said that they felt they had enough information from today and asked me to come back next week for the results. Which to me sounds like they've already made a decision. I resisted the urge to shout 'just tell me whether I am or not!!!!' Joy . 

• It seems to me that the 'experts' like a) not tell you a thing that's going on and b) act like there is some big magical mystery behind it all that the likes of us could never understand in a million years. I suppose they have reasons for being like this. 

At least you have a timeframe for the next step. Relax for a bit now!

• Just for you I Am Who I Am! I am a Father Ted fan but didn't think about spider baby. Can't believe I missed that - this is why I'm terrible at picking forum user names!

Yes a grey area is definitely the most frustrating result. I'm glad you got a clear diagnosis in the end. 

• Either way, at least you will get an answer soon, and if they say they have a conclusion after the first assessment it suggests there are no grey areas, and it should be either a positive yes or no, which is better than a maybe type answer. I would say good luck or something, but then I guess it depends on what you expect from the answer and how you deal with it. I spent two and half years trying to get the answer and all the NHS managed was you might have, but its not obvious enough for us to spend our time on you. Went private, two weeks later got my answer, a no doubts yes. It has been a massive relief as I now know why all my issues are issues and the anxiety over having the issues in the first place have now been lifted.

I will simply wish you all the best for the future and tell you to stay positive whatever.

Oh, and if your username is pure chance, you should at least change it from BabySpider to SpiderBaby, which will then bring a smile to those fans of Father Ted... 8)

• Yes thank god it's really soon, so there's a limited amount of time I had to try to second-guess what the results going to be! I just don't see how they can have enough information either way to make a decision from the information I gave them. Oh well, I will report back next week when I know more. 

• Yes thank god it's really soon, so there's a limited amount of time I had to try to second-guess what the results going to be! I just don't see how they can have enough information either way to make a decision from the information I gave them. Oh well, I will report back next week when I know more. 

Children
  • Just for you I Am Who I Am! I am a Father Ted fan but didn't think about spider baby. Can't believe I missed that - this is why I'm terrible at picking forum user names!

Yes a grey area is definitely the most frustrating result. I'm glad you got a clear diagnosis in the end. 

• Either way, at least you will get an answer soon, and if they say they have a conclusion after the first assessment it suggests there are no grey areas, and it should be either a positive yes or no, which is better than a maybe type answer. I would say good luck or something, but then I guess it depends on what you expect from the answer and how you deal with it. I spent two and half years trying to get the answer and all the NHS managed was you might have, but its not obvious enough for us to spend our time on you. Went private, two weeks later got my answer, a no doubts yes. It has been a massive relief as I now know why all my issues are issues and the anxiety over having the issues in the first place have now been lifted.

I will simply wish you all the best for the future and tell you to stay positive whatever.

Oh, and if your username is pure chance, you should at least change it from BabySpider to SpiderBaby, which will then bring a smile to those fans of Father Ted... 8)