Assessment tomorrow!!

I've posted before under a NAS username and told myself I wouldnt post on here again until I chose a new username, then I couldn't decide what to call myself so I just didn't post. Sorry. I promise I'll contribute more now rather than just asking for support from you all all the time. 

Having said that...here I am posting for support again! I have my assessment tomorrow and I'm getting very, very nervous. I've gone back and forth a lot over the past 3 years about whether I am autistic or not and I'm currently feeling that I am not and that I'm probably just a hypochondriac/drama queen who wishes neurodevelopmental disorders on herself. 

I haven't done any prep work like sending in reams of info about myself, etc, even though I really wanted to, because I felt like it would just stress me out more. I've decided just to go along, answer the questions, do the tests and see what happens. 

I'm sure a lot of you felt like this about your assessments? What did you do that helped? What helped calm any assessment anxieties? 

Parents
  • Hello

I had my first assessment a few weeks ago. I think what actually happens at the first appointment can differ according to the practise you visit.

You only need to do what you have been asked to do at this point. If in doubt ring the administrator at your centre and double check what you need to bring. You might do screening tests or wade straight into a personal history interview. 

I was not nervous. I was looking forward to it. But I came away confused and crushed. Either way there is nothing much you can do with one day to go but turn up and take the step. It can take a long time for some people to get their answers so try to relax now. 

I wish you a good experience and do check the boards again as many people here have been or are going through similar.

Best x

• Thanks for your reply Esmeralda. Why did you come away from your assessment feeling like that? 

Someone from the assessment centre has already been through what I can expect from the day. The whole thing takes about 4 hours. I have to do some tests and then there will be an interview with the psychologist and at some point someone will interview my person who knew me as a child. 

• The whole thing eh. What a day you will have! 

I didn't have a good experience with my assessor. I don't have enough experience to know if it was the process or the person that I couldn't get on with. I think I was being weeded out as a faker or hypochondriac, someone who could not possibly be ASD. It was demoralizing. 

• The whole thing eh. What a day you will have! 

I didn't have a good experience with my assessor. I don't have enough experience to know if it was the process or the person that I couldn't get on with. I think I was being weeded out as a faker or hypochondriac, someone who could not possibly be ASD. It was demoralizing. 

Children