Accessing NHS Medical Records

I have asked my GP surgery to give me access to my NHS medical records back to childhood. This is an attempt to find something from them which will prove to be the 'hard' documentary evidence of early autism that my autism assessor is demanding from me.

Despite the obstructive attitude of the GP's Receptionist I managed to fill in a form at the GP surgery, and was told it would be sent on to their main branch for processing. I won't be able to follow it up until tomorrow so I am still waiting....

My questions are:

How long does this usually take in reality (ie: to actually get to see the records)?

Will I need some sort of reference book to decode the medical jargon in the records, and if so what can I use? Or is it written in plain English?

What kind of thing will I be looking for with relevance to autism?

Do NHS autism assessors already look at your full health records? My assessor previously told me she'd seen my care records, but during out first assessment meeting I could tell she didn't know all about my medical conditions at all, (or did she?)

Would be grateful for any insight of previous experience with this, especially with regard to what is relevant to signs of autism.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Ok I am now doing what l said I would not do which is writing up my personal history in great detail for my assessor.

What I found in my NHS medical records is so compelling to me that I think it's worthwhile to pursue a diagnosis. I also found a transcript of my o level results which shows an A for English Language and a U for Maths, which is super typical for HF  females. That should do the trick. If it doesn't,  I really give up with this assessor and will go private because that  is hard evidence, in her hand.

Time to make an appointment for my 2nd assessment I think.

Thanks to everyone who has been encouraging here, and also a huge thanks to The Internet, without which I would know zero about anything of interest about anything at all  Wink

Best x

• your information is really good. thanks for this

Reply Children
No Data