I'm Officially Waiting...

Yesterday I finally received information on my referral for assessment. After months of chasing my GP and being turned away for being 'depressed'. I was feeling particularly fed up yesterday and uncharacteristically phoned my doctors to be told there's a waiting list - this is to be expected but it's the first piece of information they have actually given me. She couldn't answer any of my questions or even confirm if I was officially on the waiting list -all I was told is that there is a waiting list. I was given the number of the centre to call for more information.

Great, another phone call.

I left it a couple of hours before phoning and they confirmed I am on the waiting list for the first stage of assessment and to expect to wait 6-9 months. Not that bad compared with some of the waiting times people on this forum have discussed. She also confirmed that the referral was received 8th May! So I've already waited a month without realising... Jokes aside though, communication has been awful and it goes without saying STRESSFUL.

I feel somewhat relieved but I'm still anxious. I've been writing about myself in the hope I can remember everything that may be useful at the assessment. So far it's 13 pages and counting. 

What are your experiences with being on the waiting list? How did you cope with the wanting to know right now but having to wait for an unknown date? Did the stress and worry build and build until your appointment or was it relieving when the date come through? How did you prepare?

Parents
  • I was told the waiting list was 2 years, but I got my assessment almost exactly a year later, I wasn't really bothered leading up to the assessment as I've known pretty much all my adult life I'm autistic.

It's actually what's happened since the diagnosis that has caused me more anxiety than anything else, I have been waiting almost 8 months for the assessment report as without it, I am unable to get help. My GP hasn't even been informed of my diagnosis. Despite ringing many times all I get told is they will pass it on. I live in Essex.Bee

• Based on my experience , if you have a prior mental health diagnosis ,  in Essex it's extremely difficult to get anyone professional to consider you might be on the spectrum .

40 years in Essex (with 4years in between that in N Wales) and not a sniff of a referral. Come to Wiltshire and within 7 months of seeing a pdoc  I've got an Asperger's dx.

• Based on my experience , if you have a prior mental health diagnosis ,  in Essex it's extremely difficult to get anyone professional to consider you might be on the spectrum .

40 years in Essex (with 4years in between that in N Wales) and not a sniff of a referral. Come to Wiltshire and within 7 months of seeing a pdoc  I've got an Asperger's dx.

Children
No Data