What is 'normal'...?

There seems to be an obsession with 'normal'...

Wikipedia says:

Normality (behavior)

Normality is a behaviour that can be normal for an individual (intrapersonal normality) when it is consistent with the most common behaviour for that person.

Normal is also used to describe individual behaviour that conforms to the most common behaviour in society (known as conformity).

Definitions of normality vary by person, time, place, and situation – it changes along with changing societal standards and norms.

Normal behaviour is often only recognised in contrast to abnormality.

In its simplest form, normality is seen as good while abnormality is seen as bad. Someone being seen as normal or not normal can have social ramifications, such as being included, excluded or stigmatized by larger society.

So, that means we're ALL 'normal' at an intrapersonal level - but some of us are neurologically wired to be non-conformist.

That's an important distinction in my view.

"I am normal, I just don't conform"

Parents
  • Good topic,

Normally in Inuit society children are shown how to use extremely sharp knives. And they actually, don't seem to cut themselves. Normally in western society, a child is only allowed blunt safety scissors. And they get paper cuts!

Normal is based on the situation, society the person.

I think it is normal to include everyone. However, there is a certain portion of society that believes it's better to have them and us. Perhaps this is an evolutionary thing. To help the tribe survive etc, they reject outsiders. However, if you keep ejecting people who don't fit, you will be left with yourself. But there is also the emotional loss of status if that person turns out to be better than you.

Good phrase.

"I am normal"

How many breakthroughs and inventions were because of non-conformity?

• Good topic,

Normally in Inuit society children are shown how to use extremely sharp knives. And they actually, don't seem to cut themselves. Normally in western society, a child is only allowed blunt safety scissors. And they get paper cuts!

Normal is based on the situation, society the person.

I think it is normal to include everyone. However, there is a certain portion of society that believes it's better to have them and us. Perhaps this is an evolutionary thing. To help the tribe survive etc, they reject outsiders. However, if you keep ejecting people who don't fit, you will be left with yourself. But there is also the emotional loss of status if that person turns out to be better than you.

Good phrase.

"I am normal"

How many breakthroughs and inventions were because of non-conformity?

Children
No Data