I don't understand what is going on?

In therapy the counsellor use to reply to emails but now won't. I asked about it yesterday and he said not to encourage dependency. But I was left guessing why he wasn't replying. Is it me or is the ASD making it hard to understand the situation? Not knowing what is going on has made me anxious. Would you find it hard to understand because of your autism?

• I think it's been unfortunate that your previous counsellor was possibly too relaxed about such things as it hasn't given you experience of what would normally be expected. It is definitely the "norm" to not have much, if any contact outside of sessions besides arranging appointment times or in exceptional circumstances.

I've seen a few psychologists (never a counsellor) and my experience is as such:

Psychologist 1: No direct contact outside of sessions except if she occasionally called for a telephone appointment in exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances being I was life threateningly ill and couldn't travel to my appointments. I couldn't contact her directly, she contacted me.

Psychologist 2: No direct contact outside of sessions.

Psychologist 3: No direct contact outside of sessions. I had permission to could contact her secretary if I needed to speak to her before the next session but again this was only possible in exceptional circumstances and definitely not a regular thing. Exceptional circumstances here being less severe than life threateningly ill but things like being very distressed after a session with her or if there were long waits between appointments like many weeks then I was given the option to phone her secretary and ask to speak to her but this would usually be a call back at a time that was convenient to her and never guaranteed.

It's not personal. It's actually what would be expected from any counsellor or professional working with any client.

Yes, being autistic would make it hard to understand if you haven't experienced this before.

• thanks everyone for replying. it really helps.

• See my previous counsellor allowed emails about whatever and whenever so this practice is really different to me. Its strange that I am given some 'homework' and I'm left with it on my own with it and my problem for an entire week. But I actually think I prefer it this way it's just taking time to get use to it.

• I think he's probably rationing his time more effectively between his own priorities.  The reason he has given you isn't  very satisfactory but you'll just have to accept his new policy. Yes ASD would make it hard for you to accept because the explanation is incomplete and that drives you nuts. You could ask him directly  for clarification in your next session - you have a right to know if it's something you personally need to work on or just a unilateral decision.

I hate psychiatrists by the way.

• It's probably,  both a case of professional boundaries and explicit rules.

I remember visiting a centre for physical and mental disabled people.   And the all the staff were very friendly and helpful.  However there were strict written orders that staff must not accept Facebook friendship requests from clients or anything similar. 

• Yes, they have professional guidelines and discouraging dependency is one of them explicitly. So it's nothing personal and not your autism.

Good that you ask the question, don't agonise, ask away :)

• Thanks everyone for replying really helps

• I agree with Kitsun.

Also, the therapist is doing a job, just like anyone else and will have set working hours so may not respond outside those hours.

I am seeing a psychologist (privately funded) and I am aware that they don't immediately respond to emails and don't engage in 'dialogue' via email.

I understand that and respect their boundaries in respect to this.

• thanks so much for your reply

• It's probably simply because it might be seen as crossing professional boundaries to be repeatedly replying to emails from a client, I wouldn't take it personally. Yes autism would make it more difficult to read the intention or reason behind the behaviour.