Failed autism test...

But I have major communication problems and when I watch videos of people with autism speaking about their communication problems it hits home with me, a video I watched yesterday even made me realise why I always pull my phone out to play with/look at when I'm speaking in appointments etc. Never understood why I done that but now I realised it kinda helps me speak a little better.

I have no light/sound sensitivity or anything like that, only the communication problems. They say it's down to social anxiety but I'm not sure.

Is it possible to be autistic with only communication problems?

I failed the test and the psychiatrist said it's just anxiety.... but I don't understand how anxiety can cripple your communication skills as badly as mine every day in life

Parents
  • Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the results. Ask for a formal explanation. And ask for a formal diagnosis of the anxiety. Ask for help and support for these.

Masking

It's common for late diagnoses to mask. Mask their condition. Without thinking you will not do the things you know are "not socially acceptable."

Also, people have a stereotype about trainspotting. Whereas watching friends back to back is just accepted Trainspotting.

Ticks and Stimming have also disguises,

And what are you looking at on the phone? Are you studying conversation between people; Making and reanalysing social rules.

Do you deeply know about a subject and talk at length about it like fashion, or pop stars, or general knowledge.

Anxiety.

Anxiety can cripple your communication. There are certain types of anxiety related to ASD. Ask for a diagnosis of what type. Also very important you get help with this.

Look at their definition of Anxiety and ask why it applies to you, with examples.

ASD

You can ask for them to write the reasons why and the evidence they looked at. And what evidence they were looking for in relation to ASD.

And then you can go away and think about the evidence they looked at.

the two thing

And perhaps you have more evidence.

Like family members that.

Or specific instances.

• Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the results. Ask for a formal explanation. And ask for a formal diagnosis of the anxiety. Ask for help and support for these.

Masking

It's common for late diagnoses to mask. Mask their condition. Without thinking you will not do the things you know are "not socially acceptable."

Also, people have a stereotype about trainspotting. Whereas watching friends back to back is just accepted Trainspotting.

Ticks and Stimming have also disguises,

And what are you looking at on the phone? Are you studying conversation between people; Making and reanalysing social rules.

Do you deeply know about a subject and talk at length about it like fashion, or pop stars, or general knowledge.

Anxiety.

Anxiety can cripple your communication. There are certain types of anxiety related to ASD. Ask for a diagnosis of what type. Also very important you get help with this.

Look at their definition of Anxiety and ask why it applies to you, with examples.

ASD

You can ask for them to write the reasons why and the evidence they looked at. And what evidence they were looking for in relation to ASD.

And then you can go away and think about the evidence they looked at.

the two thing

And perhaps you have more evidence.

Like family members that.

Or specific instances.

Children
No Data