On being seen as too able

I am waiting to hear a response from an ASD clinic on being put on a waiting list for an assessement.

My worry is that during the interview (and when claiming benifits), I will be perceived as 'too able' and misdiagnosed or rejected, due to my intellectual ability, and that my speech will sometimes appear normal when interested in a topic. I have learning difficulties when it comes to comprehension (making sense of information), but in terms of fluid intelligence (pattern recognition), I am able to use inductive reasoning to assess situations or problems and find ways to cope - I am the type of person your parents would ask on how a piece of technology works for instance, because I like to tinker.

I am debating how I should appear in the interview, even though it could be months ahead. I have heard people use the term 'masking' for when adapting their behaviour to model that of a neurotypic person. I am a very ethical and rational person, so it is playing on my mind.

• My speech is quite normal most of the time. And I think I talked and behaved quite normally during my assessment. The clinicians should take a holistic view and one doesn't need to have every trait to meet the criteria for a diagnosis.

And, you could always get a second opinion if you didn't agree with the first one.