Received assessment report this morning

Social communication 3 Social interaction 5.

Conclusion- I fit the criteria for ICD 10 Asperger syndrome . It confirms what I've felt for decades but a string of psychiatrists before the latest one had failed to consider, ie there's more going on than severe mental illness.

• I'm glad that your stepdaughter was able to give informative input in the assessment. It is interesting to see/hear how other people perceive us, especially when they pick up on things that we're not aware of ourselves.

• I hope your diagnosis is what you needed, 

Thank you for sharing your whole journey with us all, it did at times seem no one was listening and often seemed nothing was happening.

You stuck with it and often shared the times of difficulty with us. You have leaped so many by sharing your journey, each has a different story to recount but it allows others to see it can all be worth the wait and sadness if only you keep believing and stand strong. 

Thank you and take care. 

• The whole process to me seems very anti-autism, but it seems to be the way of the world:

The word 'dyslexia' is incredibly hard to spell

Saying the word 'lisp' if you have a lisp

And my personal favourite 'Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia' which is the term for the fear of long words....

• It feels good to have my beliefs vindicated.     It's obvious from my experience, and others, that there needs to be a greater acknowledgement that for some being on the spectrum and having a mental illness go together. That an approach that factors in both for such individuals  would result in better outcomes for them.

• Congratulations, how does it feel? I'm at the beginning of the whole process and already feel worn out by it... I hate using the phone to chase, and my doctors has a ridiculously long menu to get through to reception (if they pick up), so I tend to drop in on my way back from work in person only to be told the same thing.

• Looking at the report it was interesting that my stepdaughter had noticed things that had not registered with me .

For example  I said I follow unwritten social rules to some extent but she said I often need to be told how to act, do things that might be seen as inappropriate and talk across people.

That if I'm talking about something I think is important  I 'll keep doing so doing so regardless of whether she is interested.

That I don't seem to have a filter.

I had considered none of these points or had just filed them under " Well that's just me" . That raises the question as to how much insight we have  as to how we are. It also shows that although third party input can be lacking in substance it can also be very informative.

• Depending upon the background to and the timing of the other diagnoses, i'd be wondering about autism as a kind of organising umbrella.  In my case, and my sons too, i see some of the other diagnoses as quite logically spinning out of the effects of undiagnosed, therefore unsupported, autism.  Feeling different, at odds with the world and quite often unaccepted or isolated was always quite likely to lead to difficulties that would then come under other labels, with clinicians believing they'd somehow diagnosed the cause.  For me undiagnosed autism provided the soil in which the other issues grew. 

• I’m really glad that you’ve got your diagnosis, I thought that you would get it. It’s good to have it finally confirmed isn’t it? Hopefully having the diagnosis helps you to understand yourself more.

• I got my own diagnosis late last year (N E England) and the Autism Team specifically stated that they follow the DSM guidelines and that they no longer used the diagnosis of Asperger's.  Likewise the team that diagnosed my son. 

That said, I asked them if the diagnosis would have previously been Asperger's and they said "yes."  Plus the paperwork sent back to the GP actually stated the ICD 10 code and "Asperger's,"  so they obviously still use it amongst themselves.    

• They did say the clinical picture is complicated further by my diagnosis of schizophrenia, anxiety and possible dyspraxia. . That it's always difficult in such cases to make sense of what may be due to one disorder or another.

•  I am a little confused though, because I didn’t think aspergers  was used as a diagnosis any longer. 

I think it still is in the UK and in many European countries. DSM-5 have combined everything into ASD, but many countries use ICD-10, and it has Aspergers as a diagnosis. I got my formal diagnosis a couple months ago, and also had Aspergers in my report, but it also noted that it's also now known as autism.

• Hello,   It must be a huge relief to see it in writing! I was also diagnosed with aspergers thre weeks  ago but I’m waiting for the diagnostic report.    I am a little confused though, because I didn’t think aspergers  was used as a diagnosis any longer. 

• Yes, congratulations on finally getting a diagnosis and making it through all of the obstacles to get to this point!   I found it had huge explanatory power for me - a different lens thorugh with to understand both my experiences and many of my family's too.  Hope you find it helpful too.  Glad you hear you're pleased.     

• Congratulations on getting to the end of the process! Hope all goes well from now.

• I'm pleased . It's good to get an explanation for things.

• It's nice that they finally gave you a conclusion! I hope you are feeling reassured now that you have a diagnosis to help explain the difficulties you've encountered in life. Slight smile