Received assessment report this morning

Social communication 3 Social interaction 5.

Conclusion- I fit the criteria for ICD 10 Asperger syndrome . It confirms what I've felt for decades but a string of psychiatrists before the latest one had failed to consider, ie there's more going on than severe mental illness.

Parents
  • I’m really glad that you’ve got your diagnosis, I thought that you would get it. It’s good to have it finally confirmed isn’t it? Hopefully having the diagnosis helps you to understand yourself more.

• Looking at the report it was interesting that my stepdaughter had noticed things that had not registered with me .

For example  I said I follow unwritten social rules to some extent but she said I often need to be told how to act, do things that might be seen as inappropriate and talk across people.

That if I'm talking about something I think is important  I 'll keep doing so doing so regardless of whether she is interested.

That I don't seem to have a filter.

I had considered none of these points or had just filed them under " Well that's just me" . That raises the question as to how much insight we have  as to how we are. It also shows that although third party input can be lacking in substance it can also be very informative.

• Looking at the report it was interesting that my stepdaughter had noticed things that had not registered with me .

For example  I said I follow unwritten social rules to some extent but she said I often need to be told how to act, do things that might be seen as inappropriate and talk across people.

That if I'm talking about something I think is important  I 'll keep doing so doing so regardless of whether she is interested.

That I don't seem to have a filter.

I had considered none of these points or had just filed them under " Well that's just me" . That raises the question as to how much insight we have  as to how we are. It also shows that although third party input can be lacking in substance it can also be very informative.

Children