Received assessment report this morning

Social communication 3 Social interaction 5.

Conclusion- I fit the criteria for ICD 10 Asperger syndrome . It confirms what I've felt for decades but a string of psychiatrists before the latest one had failed to consider, ie there's more going on than severe mental illness.

Parents
  • Hello,   It must be a huge relief to see it in writing! I was also diagnosed with aspergers thre weeks  ago but I’m waiting for the diagnostic report.    I am a little confused though, because I didn’t think aspergers  was used as a diagnosis any longer. 

• Hello,   It must be a huge relief to see it in writing! I was also diagnosed with aspergers thre weeks  ago but I’m waiting for the diagnostic report.    I am a little confused though, because I didn’t think aspergers  was used as a diagnosis any longer. 

Children
  • I got my own diagnosis late last year (N E England) and the Autism Team specifically stated that they follow the DSM guidelines and that they no longer used the diagnosis of Asperger's.  Likewise the team that diagnosed my son. 

That said, I asked them if the diagnosis would have previously been Asperger's and they said "yes."  Plus the paperwork sent back to the GP actually stated the ICD 10 code and "Asperger's,"  so they obviously still use it amongst themselves.    

•  I am a little confused though, because I didn’t think aspergers  was used as a diagnosis any longer. 

I think it still is in the UK and in many European countries. DSM-5 have combined everything into ASD, but many countries use ICD-10, and it has Aspergers as a diagnosis. I got my formal diagnosis a couple months ago, and also had Aspergers in my report, but it also noted that it's also now known as autism.