Dating and marriage

Hey guys I'm autistic :) Do you want to date NT's, Aspies or what? I only want to date NTs because I know how difficult it is to be autistic and I just want to be normal.

Parents
  • You're not the only autie I know who believes that being half of a couple with an NT will 'normalise' their life - and indeed it will in the sense of dragging you into 'all that' and making other NTs have to deal with you socially.

I have to say I find this unbearably stressful and suffocating. I've long since abandoned this strategy, I find it pretty undermining, stressful, and depressing to be in a relationship where I'm considered 'problematic', everything is my fault and someone in my home is almost always angry with me for reasons I can barely grasp.

I personally think that forming communities of affinity online or offline is a better way to deal with loneliness and a need for day to day support. Not that it's easy to do! I'd rather have my independence and agency and be able to shut my front door on NT world when I choose.

• You're not the only autie I know who believes that being half of a couple with an NT will 'normalise' their life - and indeed it will in the sense of dragging you into 'all that' and making other NTs have to deal with you socially.

I have to say I find this unbearably stressful and suffocating. I've long since abandoned this strategy, I find it pretty undermining, stressful, and depressing to be in a relationship where I'm considered 'problematic', everything is my fault and someone in my home is almost always angry with me for reasons I can barely grasp.

I personally think that forming communities of affinity online or offline is a better way to deal with loneliness and a need for day to day support. Not that it's easy to do! I'd rather have my independence and agency and be able to shut my front door on NT world when I choose.

Children
No Data