Making friends as an adult?

Hello,

Just joined, apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers about 7 years ago.  I feel like it helped in a lot of ways but I’m very stressed about making friends.  I moved away from the area I lived since birth two years ago and I do not have any friends where I live.  I have a partner who I live with, and I keep in touch with my friends from home.

So, my question is, how do I make friends?? I really don’t know how to do it, and just end up feeling anxious and sad and like there’s something wrong with me!

Vicky Slight smile

• Hi Vicky, I guess it partly depends on what you're looking for from those friendships. I've found that joining clubs has provided me at least with  some acquaintances-with-whom-I-get-along-and-quite-like. Online too is a source of contact and connection.

But I will admit that if I look at myself objectively, I don't think I have any friends in the true sense of the word, and don't know what the true sense of the word fully means as an adult.

• Meetup.com.   It's all very gentle - as much commitments as you like - just find out what's going on near you.   I attend coffee mornings, lunches, cinema meets, meals out, techy meetups - you name it, there's probably a local get together.