Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • I used to think I did. I mean you assume you know what emotions feel like. But I've recently realised that not only do I have no idea how to tell emotions on other people, I also have no clue when it comes to my own emotions. This is quite a recent revelation. What I'm feeling at any one time is very difficult to describe in words. 

• I used to think I did. I mean you assume you know what emotions feel like. But I've recently realised that not only do I have no idea how to tell emotions on other people, I also have no clue when it comes to my own emotions. This is quite a recent revelation. What I'm feeling at any one time is very difficult to describe in words. 

Children
  • Wow.  We all have the same simple symptoms.  Just because we may have a large or small amygdala, by NO means, means that we cannot learn.  For years, I've been asking for help.  Why do normal do not want to teach how to overcome basic feelings.  For example, if someone would teach me what sadness commonly feels like, or what other emotions feel like that create a "meltdown"... then people like us can learn.  Instead, we all sit here and describe our "symptoms" as similar but only a few of us know how to deal with it.  Teach us!  Teach me what it feels like to feel.  Isn't that the definition of insanity....always doing the same thing and only getting the same results.  This is insane that so many people suffer same symptoms, and no one has "thought" of how to teach us.  Just a blame game....that we are dysfunctional because we have a "slightly" abnormal organ in our body.  Just because I have small hands, does it mean I am not smart or can't succeed.  Success is having an education.  An education is being taught.  We need coaches to teach us, role play with us to be more social.  But the idea of being social is one that only can be taught...that's how everyone learned.  But for many of us on the outside who don't know how to be social, its difficult to be social because as an adult it is hard to learn these things. 

Maybe not only I will thank you, but so will my body.  My body hurts.  Help!  Teach me what I should feel.  Kudos to the person who described what it means to "curl up" in the fetal position....crying....or kicking one's legs.  I see these metaphors in television and movies, but with repetitive reading....I can make it an understood behavior that I recognize in others or demonstrate to others.  You should make a website and earn from it.  I am more than positive it will be a success!  Thank you for teaching those 3 metaphors. Does anyone hear me out there?  Agree or disagree about teaching us because obviously we aren't stupid.  If they don't want to help then we should help ourselves.  I assure we will not only help ourselves, but society in general because I've heard that "Autism" is on the rise.  Probably because we are becoming more isolated by technology.  The world opens for the wealthy but for the less many become isolated, and society becomes less socially educated.  I'm sure a renaissance will happen again in a few hundred years as humans fall into a modern dark age (in the technological) era.

• I used to think I did. I mean you assume you know what emotions feel like. But I've recently realised that not only do I have no idea how to tell emotions on other people, I also have no clue when it comes to my own emotions. This is quite a recent revelation. What I'm feeling at any one time is very difficult to describe in words

@NAS51133 me too. Quite a shock when I first realised it!

• I had to describe what things like angry and sad were like doing the ADOS. It threw me completely.