Dr Who

A thought just occurred to me.  We now have a female Doctor, not bothered by that, but the writing is meh. 

There were some good episodes but also a lot of meh.

It occurred to me, if the figurehead is a female, why do we have a man overseeing the whole series and writing for itIe the chap from Broadchurch.

Surely the likes of Phoebe Waller-Bridger should oversee and write the series. I know that she is currently writing Bond but, do you see my point? 

Parents
  • I find it difficult to get used to a new doctor, and Jodie is quite different to Matt, who I came to really like. It does feel a bit odd having a female doctor after so many years of them being male (not a sexist view - I'm female - just my opinion). I loved Missy, but  we didn't know at first that she was a reincarnation of the master so I had no preconceptions - I was able to get to know her as a character with no expectations. 

However, I do think Jodie is a good actor and I agree that the writing has been pretty poor. There were some good ideas, but it seemed to me to always come back to family relationships, friendships and moral dilemmas. When I watch Dr Who I want exciting sci-fi stories, not soap operas! It's not Coronation Street in space! Perhaps they should rename it Coronation Universe, or East End Galaxy?

• Oh, by the way, why does the female doctor need 3 companions? The male ones only had one - with a boyfriend tagging along sometimes, but not really acknowledged as a second companion, just tolerated by the doctor, not befriended). Bradley is good, but I'm afraid I wasn't impressed with the younger two . I think just one companion gives a better dynamic. 

• In the early years, three companions was quite common.  There have been varying numbers of companions throughout the doctor's history.

It started out (after the very first episode) with having three companions (Susan, Ian, and Barbara).  It was only when Jon Pertwee took over that he only had one 'assistant' although there were other regulars during his tenure, since the majority of time he was confined to Earth.  Peter Davison had multiple companions again.

• Oh, that's interesting. I didn't watch the early Jon Pertwee episodes. I did watch Peter Davison, but I didn't remember him having multiple companions. Maybe I don't like multiple ones because I prefer " one to one " relationships rather than groups?

• Oh, that's interesting. I didn't watch the early Jon Pertwee episodes. I did watch Peter Davison, but I didn't remember him having multiple companions. Maybe I don't like multiple ones because I prefer " one to one " relationships rather than groups?

Children
No Data