Bored of food

I have such a narrow range of things that I eat I am so bored of food. I need ideas of how I can make new combinations of what I eat. 

I normally do roasts, spaghetti Bolognese, quiche, pie 

I like stew but I got a slow cooker for Christmas and cooked a disastrous one.

I don't like anything too spicy. I eat v mild curry. If I have Chinese I always order the same.

I don't like the taste of alcohol.

I eat:

Broccoli, carrot , green beans, as long as they are cooked within an inch of their lives

Peppers, courgette,  onion if cooked til not crunchy

Potatoes

Meat as long as it doesn't look like it comes from an animal

Cheese

Eggs 

Pasta

Cereal

I like fresh bread but I don't like sandwiches unless they are toasted

• @pixiefox I get interested in nutrition too. I'm usually on some crank diet or other, keeps it interesting :D I'm trying low-carb at the moment - if it works will try to segue to full-on keto. I've been on low gluten and that's better but I'm still getting digestive problems. I like cooking, I won't follow a really fiddly recipe but I enjoy figuring out how to make something come out right. I avoid processed food and make everything from scratch, including bread - which I just stopped eating, I tend to live on toast if I'm fatigued so it'll be interesting to see if I can manage to stick to a low-carb diet. Now I'm thinking about making cheese scones so will stop talking about bread and food :D

• I don't like the texture of most things either.  I recommend not stressing too much about it.  It's not worth stressing yourself out over it.  If you don't enjoy eating there's nothing wrong with that.  Just make sure you are forcing yourself to eat just enough that you don't become ill.  Or, I don't know whether you exercise or workout ever, but maybe increase your activity and you'll feel hungrier and might look forward to eating?  

• same!  I can't follow a recipe at all, or directions.  After hearing the first step or two I'm lost.  My meals are things like cereal, a plain baked potato, a plate of chips, plain pasta, beans on toast.  That's pretty much it.  So no recipe or real cooking required.  

• I have very low iron levels, but taking iron pills did nothing.  I have a drs appointment in two weeks and going to ask whether I should take a multivitamin.

• I eat weetabix for breakfast every day.

It's texture for me too.

I am with you on boring food tv shows.

• There are more enjoyments in life than food.  I can't stand all those programmes on telly messing about with food, the sight of it makes me retch.  But if others enjoy it then it is up to me.

Just eat what you like, taking supplements if necessary.  Just make sure you are getting a lot of fibre, I regularly have Shredded Wheat for tea, and it seems to make me feel a lot better if I have a cold.  Protein is in every food to some extent (bread has quite a lot of protein, and then there are eggs and milk).

As well as the flavour it is the texture of a lot of food I don't like, and the smiell, but sometimes mixing up things gives a pleasant surprise - cheese and strawberries (or strawberry jam) and chips and ice cream go surprisingly well together.  Don't mock it till you try it!

• I have phases of taking vitamins.  Mulitvitamins from Lidl are quite cheap.  As for Iron, i wonder whether sucking on a nail would do!

There is a theory that pregnant women have strange compulsions such as eating coal as a reaction to their bodies lack of certain minerals.  I wonder if the same would apply to everyone as the bodies defence for lacking nutrients.

• I can't deal with recipes that have too many ingredients or too much preparation - it can feel a bit overwhelming! I enjoy food, but simple meals with good fresh ingredients can still be tasty. 

• Thank you. Will try some of those. 

Yes - No bones!

I like that they don't require much cooking either!

• Hi, one of my special interests is diet & nutrition. Your diet is not that restrictive and can provide all the nutrients you need, but it's a shame you don't enjoy it much. Perhaps if you try different recipes you will start to like food more.

My immediate thought though was, what do you mean by meat that doesn't look like it came from an animal? Do you mean boneless joints and fillets? Do you eat burgers, sausages, bacon or ham? Also, do you like different types of potato (chips, wedges, new potatoes, etc) If so, I have the following suggestions:

Toasted bacon or ham sandwiches with Cheesy baked courgettes 

Cheese & red pepper omelette with potato wedges

100% beef burgers with chunky chips & broccoli in cheese sauce

Hunters chicken with baked onions, peppers & courgettes, and boiled new potatoes

Lasagne & baked potato with Cheese 

Pasta carbonara with green beans

Sausages, carrots & mash with onion gravy

Hope something there inspires you - bon appetite!

• Its so annoying that other people seem to love and enjoy food but for me it's something I eat cos I have to

• I have started taking vitamins 

• Unfortunately I don't eat salad, vinegar, spice or pesto

• sounds good!  apart from the fruit, I have a banana each day but I don't eat any other fruit or vegetables.  I think I should probably start taking a vitamin pill, do you take any?

• Shredies for brekkkie nearly every day, banana and bread and butter for lunch nearly every day, ans bread and cheese foe tea.four days a week.   An orang sometome.in the day, and other fuit wjen available. And I don't dind ir boring!

• you eat a bigger variety than me.  I eat about 4 different foods and have the same breakfast and lunch every day, and dinner is a choice of two meals.  All very plain.  Luckily though, the food I do eat I enjoy.  

• Take out the roasts, spaghetti quiche, pies, peppers etc, onion, meat.(except ham, sausage, bacon or pork pie, (but only a pork farms.pie or some.melton mowbray mowbray pork pies)), potatoes except chips or crisps (ready salted or totally plain only), brocolli,  beans, and pasta,  and you  get something approaching what I eat. 

Furthermore the only cheese I will eat is cheddar,  I will only eat eggs boiled or poached.  I will eat fruit, (apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, srawberries, peaches)  and raw carrots, lettuce and watercress only as it is, not messed about with.  I can dtect an onion at fifty paces, and unfortunately onion powder is in a lot of food which exacerbates my ibs to extremes. I will eat some fish (cod, haddock, sardines, kippers) but only once again in a very simple way - kippers hot with bread and butter,  sardines with bread and butter and vinegar, cod or haddock in batter or breadcrumbs or smoked).  A boiled egg is a hot meal for me with bread and butter. I will eat yogurt (cherry or strawberry only) and drink milk. Added to that is various sweet food such as jelly, ice cream, cake.

This diet has kept me alive to near pension age so is unlikely to change now.  Any health problems I have are not associated with my diet.

I think what is missed by a lot of nutritionists is that any food will keep someone alive loofar longer than no food at all. Any food can be bad for you it seems nowadays.  And how many times do experts change their mind about food which is bad for you.

I would not advocate my diet for anyone, but worrying about diet does not solve any problem with it. Food is necessary to live, and it is not necessary to do complicated things with it either to survive or to enjoy  what you like.

• Cooking with slow cookers, like most recipes, takes time to master, so I would definitely recommend giving the slow cooker another chance. 

You could make some really delicious food with your chosen ingredients, by adding different spices ~ this takes time, and learning through trial and error, as well, to find the combinations you love, but it’s worth it. 

You can make spaghetti out of courgettes. This is what I do but I don’t cook mine but I think some people do. 

I love love love potatoes and I’m always finding new ways to cook them. My latest potato recipe  invention is to cut the potatoes into shapes like chips (I don’t generally peal them), then I slice some onions and boil them together in a pan with water and vegetable broth, for about 10 minutes. 

Then I take them out of the pan (I don’t drain them as I want some of the juice to stay with them) and put them in a roasting tin lined with parchment paper and roast them for about 20 or 30 minute turning once or twice during cooking, and for me, they’re to die for Ok hand tone3and I have them with a huge huge salad.  

I love grated carrots and I’m going to experiment with them, by putting them in vinegar or something. 

There’s a pasta dish that I used to eat, every single day, for well over a year. I would put that pasta in a large pan of water and put a colander  on top and in that I would put chopped courgette, spring onions, mushrooms, peppers and some kind of sausage (can’t remember the name of it, I got it from a supermarket in a packet in a horse shoe shape) chopped up and they would cook at the same time as the pasta. 

Once it was all cooked, after about 10 minutes, depending on the pasta, I would mix it all together with a pesto (shop bought) and serve it with a delicious salad of rocket, baby tomatoes and finely chopped onion with a honey mustard vinegar dressing. Oh, I used to put some grated cheese on top of the pasta combination as well. 

Let me know if you want any more tips, cooking is one of my things ;) 

• Your diet seems similar to mine - if you actually think about it, you can come up with thousands of combinations for all that just by swapping them around.   Just think of potatoes - roasties, chips, boiled, mashed, baked, hashed, dauphinoise etc. etc.  Then add the meat - mince, burgers, corned, battered etc -  add the veg and you've got a year's worth right there - then there's all the combinations of omelettes, casseroles, pasta dishes etc. and you're good to go.  Cheese on top of anything makes it better.

Why not look online at restaurant menus and see what gets your mouth watering that's made with the ingredients you like?