Am I wrong to feel offended by...

Am I wrong in feeling offended that a task I've been performing for over a year has now been assigned to someone else, with someone other than myself supervising them?

Said supervisor hasn't consulted me and has disregarded my documentation / process.

Feels like a massive FU to me.

My work colleague tells me not to take it personally.

I'm growing tired of people spouting things like...

"Don't take it personally", "You're not the only one this affects", "I don't understand your problem", etc.

Management at work do my head in.

Parents
  • I assume you feel like you've been downgraded?   What are you doing instead of this task?   Is there more scope to pick up something else that's more interesting?

• Nah. I'm still doing everything else but it seems very odd that I haven't been consulted even though I took ownership of the process, designed reports and devised the testing process that everyone said they were happy with.

Now said task has been assigned to someone with no experience and I haven't even been spoken to about said process / testing so it seems like all my work has just been binned.

• I understand what you mean. I've worked on projects before that just get shelved. It feels personal because you've put so much effort into them. Could you approach the new person and offer help? Or maybe speak with your manager to ask the reason why it was transferred? (Both of those are difficult, I would struggle to do that). Could it be they are freeing you up to start a new task?

• I understand what you mean. I've worked on projects before that just get shelved. It feels personal because you've put so much effort into them. Could you approach the new person and offer help? Or maybe speak with your manager to ask the reason why it was transferred? (Both of those are difficult, I would struggle to do that). Could it be they are freeing you up to start a new task?

Children
  • Try to understand the normal procedure for making decisions like this and whether there is any difference in your case.

For the future, you want to be aware of how you are doing, whether there are any positive or negative comments on your work and how you could improve and manage the process. Otherwise you are in a vacuum where you have no feedback and no influence over your own work and your own situation. Maybe if the decision is already gone, you may discuss this for the future, because it will come back again and again.

• It's been bugging me ever since the new person asked me about it at about 1 this afternoon.

• Since you have adjustments in place and they are aware of your ASC, you probably should use that process.

Your key point seem to be that they made a decision about you to exclude you from aspects of your project without involving you. It looks like they took your autonomy away. You might quite rightly feel uneasy about this because you might feel it could be discriminatory. I am not sure taking offense is going to be helpful in any way, but you certainly need to discuss this with your employer.

Was the due process followed in taking that decision?

You might ask whether they got any feedback and input from other coworkers about your project that you don't know about.

Why did they not share it with you?

Why have they not discussed and involve you in the decision to reassign the project?

What is the comparator? How could they handle a similar situation with a non disabled person? I would expect there would be open feedback and a process of project review and performance review whereby the proposals a person put in place could be rejected or modified and the person may stay or be removed and downgraded all together as result of performance and project review. But there would have been a relatively transparent process in accordance with normal practices and policies within the company.

You might also consider what support did you receive in managing this feedback and dissatisfaction yourself? If people did not agree with your proposal, why did they not state that openly and support you in modifying and improving your proposal while retaining ownership?

Why did they have to take ownership away from you, how did they arrive to this decision?

• I can only suggest staying cool and factual and possibly suggesting something else that you could take on in place of that task.

I got myself into some vital company roles like fire safety and the company volunteers so that I was highly visible to upper management and more difficult to make redundant because of all the little things thay would have to get someone else to do. 

It may be an opportunity for you.

• I'm going to raise it in my next workplace adjustments meeting with my manager.

• Is there anyone in the management that you can mention this to?  Does your company have an HR dept?  Does your manager ever bother talking to you or are you just seen as droid #463?

You only have 2 choices - say something or keep it to yourself - how annoyed are you?