Do you ever feel guilty?

Do you ever feel guilty because of your behaviour due to your autism? I'm not really thinking extreme behaviour, more the little things.

I'm asking this because the other day I saw my parents for the first time in a while. I spent the whole time I saw them waffling on about myself and things I wanted to talk about. Afterwards I realised that it hadn't occurred to me to ask them how they were or what they'd been doing. I felt a bit bad when I realised this. I don't want them to think I don't care. I feel quite selfish when this happens but its not because I don't care about them and their lives. It just never occurred to me to ask and I find conversations about other people hard to keep going.

Do other people have situations like this and then feel guilty?

Parents
  • Greetings. I am just passing, so I spot this Thread appearing.

I Myself often feel the most guilt when, where I (am forced to) live, I pass by or see someone whom I like very much -- that is, someone whom I have known for many years and are not 'mean' to Me. I stare after them, wanting to say something nice and meaningful... but all that happens to Me is a massive fear of... well, everything ! 

Sometimes I will wave or give the "Peace" sign. And that is all I have to say about this just now...    :-)

• Greetings. I am just passing, so I spot this Thread appearing.

I Myself often feel the most guilt when, where I (am forced to) live, I pass by or see someone whom I like very much -- that is, someone whom I have known for many years and are not 'mean' to Me. I stare after them, wanting to say something nice and meaningful... but all that happens to Me is a massive fear of... well, everything ! 

Sometimes I will wave or give the "Peace" sign. And that is all I have to say about this just now...    :-)

Children
  • Thanks. I have these situations too where I want to say something and just can't. I feel frustrated when this happens. 

I think I felt particularly bad with this situation because I was so oblivious at the time and afterwards when I looked back I realised my mistake. This is probably progress for me to be fair. I actually realised my social error. Perhaps this is a good thing. Maybe I can work on it.

I guess I'm really wondering should I feel guilty? Is it actually my fault considering I'm autistic. But I don't like to play the autism card.

It's very confusing.