I accept I'm probably pedantic

But do people really have to put me down because of it? Twice recently on another forum I'v had a difference of opinion with some other posters.It was thrown at me to discredit my opinion that I was being pedantic.

• In the letter she wrote for my assessment my sister said

"He was very insistent on always being right" . 

I remember my sister regularly playing that card, but not my brother. Of course if she was saying I was wrong so often she was saying she was right a lot. It smacks to me of the pot calling the kettle black.
  • A couple of local people have signs on their front fences saying 'Smile your on camera'. I need to go out late one night with a black felt tip pen and make the necessary corrections! If I'm caught on camera, surely I can plead grammatical propriety against any charge of criminal damage.

• Words from my mother include "You are pig-headed, once you get something in your mind then you cannot shift it".

Plus the different way of thinking, why I upgraded my four year old phone at Christmas because I was wary of the curve rupturing the original battery (and I thought I kept it safe from any physical force all the time I owned it.

Right ->left

Right->wrong

• I build in a lot of slop for dealing with people - they often say things that are not true.  

I learnt a long time ago that there's no point arguing with idiots - they drag you down to their level where they can beat you with experience.

When I get conflicting information about things, I seek out the definitive truth and then use that as my basis of operation.

If others want to do things incorrectly, that's their problem - I can help and guide, but ultimately, it's their problem if things go wrong.  Documenting things via e-mail with them protects my position.   If the SHTF, I have the documentation available to defend myself when people investigate.  Trust no-one.

The problem is every time I get told I'm doing things wrong or people want to argue with me when they are in the wrong, biting my tongue every time hurts my heart. 

It's annoying to just have to downgrade my opinion of those around me a little further into the 'idiot realm'.

• Me, too.  We had a 'St Patrick's Day' display at work when it was coming up... but the apostrophe was missing.  I pointed it out, but people just looked at me oddly.  In the end, I made an apostrophe and stuck it on.

Another example at work today.  I reported that the electric cable on one of our beds was faulty.  The outer sheathing was worn through on the control cable, exposing the wires inside.  On one of those wires, too, the sheathing had also worn away, exposing the bare copper wire.  An engineer came, looked at it and said 'It's perfectly safe.  You can carry on using it.'  This flew in the face of all that I'd been taught in training - and also, as far as I'm concerned, of commonsense.  So... I've reported it further up the line.  The engineer can give me a roasting for going above his head if he wants to, but I want clarification on the issue.  I want the right answer.

I've been called 'high-minded' before on forums for being a stickler about details, grammar, etc.  Well... people can think what they like.  They certainly seem to like what they think!

• You could have been pedantic and said I spelt the word wrong lol

• It's not Ginger. and don't forget, 'whose boots are those shoes. lol

• True Former Memberas people's perceptions and literal meanings are different.  Like some of the Welsh sayings

- There it was, gone

- tidy butt (a greeting not found on Gavin & Stacey)

- I'll do it now in a minute

I am lucky that I don't take those literally although someone said they had dyed their hair red (and I though Comic Relief Nose red rather than auburn/gigner)

• I wouldn't take to heart what people write on forums. It's difficult to interpret meaning in text and sometimes the intent of what is written isn't what is interpreted because everyone reads from their own perspective. 

• Go for it! you certainly put a worm in my ear. lol

• My mum used to say - 

“Now your just splitting hairs!!!” 

• It is integrating & testing the hardware with the Software or Software with the Hardware?

One acronym is HSIT and the other is SH**

• SNAP and no people do not have to put you down.  I'm a "do it one and do it right" guy and typo's, grammar police and innuendo (when words can have many literal meanings) do my head in.  I have had it all my life because they never spell my name right.

I'm a detail person and not full picture except when it is due to my knowledge, skills and experience with these damn computers.  I also have my ideas/innovations crushed because I come up with them and cannot do the hard sell/financial benefits/time benefits especially with the bullying manager.  The big issue is that he knows the crumple button that I take things literally and criticism personally.  This worm has now turned and I cannot wait to put him in his place.