I accept I'm probably pedantic

But do people really have to put me down because of it? Twice recently on another forum I'v had a difference of opinion with some other posters.It was thrown at me to discredit my opinion that I was being pedantic.

Parents
  • Me, too.  We had a 'St Patrick's Day' display at work when it was coming up... but the apostrophe was missing.  I pointed it out, but people just looked at me oddly.  In the end, I made an apostrophe and stuck it on.

Another example at work today.  I reported that the electric cable on one of our beds was faulty.  The outer sheathing was worn through on the control cable, exposing the wires inside.  On one of those wires, too, the sheathing had also worn away, exposing the bare copper wire.  An engineer came, looked at it and said 'It's perfectly safe.  You can carry on using it.'  This flew in the face of all that I'd been taught in training - and also, as far as I'm concerned, of commonsense.  So... I've reported it further up the line.  The engineer can give me a roasting for going above his head if he wants to, but I want clarification on the issue.  I want the right answer.

I've been called 'high-minded' before on forums for being a stickler about details, grammar, etc.  Well... people can think what they like.  They certainly seem to like what they think!

• Me, too.  We had a 'St Patrick's Day' display at work when it was coming up... but the apostrophe was missing.  I pointed it out, but people just looked at me oddly.  In the end, I made an apostrophe and stuck it on.

Another example at work today.  I reported that the electric cable on one of our beds was faulty.  The outer sheathing was worn through on the control cable, exposing the wires inside.  On one of those wires, too, the sheathing had also worn away, exposing the bare copper wire.  An engineer came, looked at it and said 'It's perfectly safe.  You can carry on using it.'  This flew in the face of all that I'd been taught in training - and also, as far as I'm concerned, of commonsense.  So... I've reported it further up the line.  The engineer can give me a roasting for going above his head if he wants to, but I want clarification on the issue.  I want the right answer.

I've been called 'high-minded' before on forums for being a stickler about details, grammar, etc.  Well... people can think what they like.  They certainly seem to like what they think!

Children
  • Words from my mother include "You are pig-headed, once you get something in your mind then you cannot shift it".

Plus the different way of thinking, why I upgraded my four year old phone at Christmas because I was wary of the curve rupturing the original battery (and I thought I kept it safe from any physical force all the time I owned it.

Right ->left

Right->wrong