Parents
  • For me, Stress and overload in general, whether its from sensory overload, social overload, too much change or whatever. For me i dont have many full on meltdowns any more and when i do its usually because of a build up of any and all of those things. The final trigger can be very small though so it could look like thats what the main cause was? Yes, for me negative thoughts could certainly contribute or be the final straw. The last one i had the final trigger was very much in that category, though i will say it was very much boss induced negative thoughts!

For me i end up crying uncontrollably, and feeling a huge kind of pressure i guess that needs letting out which often means punching or throwing stuff, but im in control enough  (though not of the crying) to generally make sure its soft stuff that gets hit and thrown. 

Once its gone beyond a certain point the best i can do is put it off a bit so im not in public (usually, though possibly not totally in the case of the last boss-induced one. Ooops!). I havent got to the point where i can control things enough so that they never happen - its a balance for me between pushing myself enough but not too much. Havent quite got that right yet.

• For me, Stress and overload in general, whether its from sensory overload, social overload, too much change or whatever. For me i dont have many full on meltdowns any more and when i do its usually because of a build up of any and all of those things. The final trigger can be very small though so it could look like thats what the main cause was? Yes, for me negative thoughts could certainly contribute or be the final straw. The last one i had the final trigger was very much in that category, though i will say it was very much boss induced negative thoughts!

For me i end up crying uncontrollably, and feeling a huge kind of pressure i guess that needs letting out which often means punching or throwing stuff, but im in control enough  (though not of the crying) to generally make sure its soft stuff that gets hit and thrown. 

Once its gone beyond a certain point the best i can do is put it off a bit so im not in public (usually, though possibly not totally in the case of the last boss-induced one. Ooops!). I havent got to the point where i can control things enough so that they never happen - its a balance for me between pushing myself enough but not too much. Havent quite got that right yet.

Children
  • Yep... build up of things over time that I've not dealt with then some final straw tipping the balance, as Zomted says, that final thing could be trivial...

Intense feeling of frustration/confusion, physically shaking, feeling of pent-up emotion that needs to be let out via crying or smashing things (as a teenager I put a couple of holes in doors and one time punched out an inset ceiling light).

How do I stop them... in the first instance immense self-control and iron will - but that just puts them off and can't be done indefinitely as it just makes it worse in the end.

Hard physical exercise seems to work as it provides a way to transmute emotional/mental pain into physical pain (had to go for a 10 mile run while visiting the inlaws last weekend to 'clear my head') but 'getting away' from the immediate source of stress & listening to LOUD music (particular favourite tracks) also seems to 'purge' the build-up...