Different perceptions. What do people think of this situation? Protective of my possessions.

I sometimes find other people's perceptions of a situation absolutely baffling. And a recent situation is really bugging me because I really don't see how the other people's point of view made sense yet I was on my own with my point of view so evidently once again its me with the issue.

I'm quite protective of my possessions. They are very important to me. I guess this is an ASC thing. Because of this, I HATE lending people things. However, I found myself in a situation where a friend wanted to read a book I'd just read and asked if they could borrow it. I said they could even though I didn't really want to because I didn't want to appear like I was being awkward. She read the book and then said another friend who I also know had wanted to read it so she would pass it on to her. I was a bit uneasy about this but nothing I could do.

I let time go by for a bit and heard nothing about the book so asked the second friend if they'd read it yet. She said the first friend never gave it to her. I asked the first friend the next time I saw her. There was a group of us. She was very offhand and didn't seem to know whether she still had it or not. As the conversation went on, she quite bluntly said "Well did you want it back?" I said "Of course I did because it was mine." She seemed baffled by this. Someone else said "Well you're never going to read it again." And then another person said "If I leant someone a book, I'd just expect them to keep it."

My mind at this point was just repeatedly going "It's mine! It's mine! It's mine!" I couldn't even slightly understand their point of view at all. They didn't see why I had an issue with the situation. Am I the only one baffled by this situation? And does anyone else find themselves in these situations where there point of view is different but the other people's point of views make absolutely no sense?

Parents
  • I am completely with you on this! I would always return someone's book/other borrowed thing or at least keep them updated, e.g. "I haven't got round to reading it yet, would you like it back?"

BUT, I do know quite a few people who act like your friend and assume that once they've been leant something, that thing is effectively theirs. I've lost quite a few books and DVDs this way; it has really annoyed and upset me! And baffled me to be honest because, like you, I just think this viewpoint makes no sense at all.

Now, I just go into librarian mode and say to people that they can borrow something as long as they promise to give it back Laughing Hope you get your book back eventually!

• I am completely with you on this! I would always return someone's book/other borrowed thing or at least keep them updated, e.g. "I haven't got round to reading it yet, would you like it back?"

BUT, I do know quite a few people who act like your friend and assume that once they've been leant something, that thing is effectively theirs. I've lost quite a few books and DVDs this way; it has really annoyed and upset me! And baffled me to be honest because, like you, I just think this viewpoint makes no sense at all.

Now, I just go into librarian mode and say to people that they can borrow something as long as they promise to give it back Laughing Hope you get your book back eventually!

Children
  • I've given up hope of getting that book back Disappointed. I don't think I'll be lending anyone anything again. Well maybe I will to my mum. I know she'll give it back go me. 

I've very rarely leant anyone anything but like you have lost some books and dvds over the years by lending them. I wish you could fit them with alarms so if the person is late returning it then the alarm would go off.