Antidepressants

I am getting to a point where I feel, although I feel rather frightened of them, that I may have to start taking antidepressants. I was prescribed some last year and took one but it made me feel awful; I didn't sleep, felt unbearably anxious and felt really physically ill too. Doctors have since told me that just one tablet wouldn't make me feel like that but interestingly the psychiatrist I saw who suspected I may be Autistic didn't dispute the idea when I mentioned it to him.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, and of course many not be, but I just wanted to post asking about this issue as I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that people with ASD could be much more sensitive to antidepressants, and I'd also be interested to hear other people's experiences if anyone would like to share.

I have been very much in and out of depression, I do have times when I feel more positive, and I know to some extent my depression is sort of situational; I've been struggling with various aspects of life for several years now, and I'm not finding myself able to get anywhere with anything other than doing the same thing every day whilst feeling like I can't cope with life. I am seeing a therapist and have been making a huge effort to do all of the 'right' things; exercise, eating well, meditating, taking vitamin and mineral supplements etc, but everything just leaves me feeling absolutely distraught and desolate at the moment. I am weirdly hoping that I am depressed because that makes me feel a bit like I might be able to do something about it to feel more positive at some point, as otherwise I am scared that this is just how it is for me now and there's no way out.

Thank you for reading

Parents
  • I went to my GP last week as have started having "funny turns" again like im losing the plot want to cry and be sick all at yhe same time. She said its anxiety. We talked more and she said low mood might be a factor too. She suggested medication to regulate serotonin levels and i went away to consider it. Ive had anxiety on and off and have been to the docs a few times about it. (I also mentioned i think i might be on the spectrum but i will be making another appointment to discusd properly).

I looked into the side effects of the medication and they seem to be all what i had been having anyway due to anxiety. I dont want to feel any worse thsn i already have been!! I have decided to spend more time at the sports centre doing fitness classes and i will be walking more. I understand some people's biological make up means they will need medication to feel "normal". I dont know if i do. I just cant face myself to start taking anythinh as im worried in balancing out one thing itd unbalance something else.

• I went to my GP last week as have started having "funny turns" again like im losing the plot want to cry and be sick all at yhe same time. She said its anxiety. We talked more and she said low mood might be a factor too. She suggested medication to regulate serotonin levels and i went away to consider it. Ive had anxiety on and off and have been to the docs a few times about it. (I also mentioned i think i might be on the spectrum but i will be making another appointment to discusd properly).

I looked into the side effects of the medication and they seem to be all what i had been having anyway due to anxiety. I dont want to feel any worse thsn i already have been!! I have decided to spend more time at the sports centre doing fitness classes and i will be walking more. I understand some people's biological make up means they will need medication to feel "normal". I dont know if i do. I just cant face myself to start taking anythinh as im worried in balancing out one thing itd unbalance something else.

Children
No Data