Going around in circles

I have just accepted a new job. This will be my 7th new job in 5 years. I start out all energetic and raring to go, but in a few months I get bogged down, frustrated, tired, distraught. Then I think the only way to solve it is to start again. How to I break this circle? How do you stay in the same job over a long time? I realise that I'm making my own problems really because the act of starting a new job is so stressful in itself but I really want to make this new job work. I don't think I can cope if it all goes wrong again. 

Parents
  • 'New job' or 'new employer'? i.e. are you doing something different each time or just the same thing for a different employer/industry/product?

I'm a Business Analyst and went contract (instead of being permanent) in 2013, since then I've worked at 4 different companies (3 private sector & 1 public) in 3 different industries and across 6 different products... but always using the same skillset/mindset.

I get bored and/or 'bogged-down, frustrated & tired' easily so being able to move around is a benefit as it keeps thongs 'fresh'.

So I guess I'm saying maybe you can make this work in your favour?

Alternatively, if you actively want to stay in one job over a long period take a look at what it is that makes you feel "bogged down, frustrated, tired, distraught" and see if there's a way to change that and/or expand your role to take on new, short-term things to help keep your mood/enthusiasm up.

• There must be definite advantages with having that kind of technical skillset.  I used to work from home as an IT recruiter for Microsoft Dynamics products, and there was a lot of short-term contract stuff available for project managers, business analysts, solutions consultants, developers, etc.  Some of the more high-end contractors would often only work for part of the year and make enough to take long periods off.  That would suit me - if I had any of those skillsets!  I don't suppose I'm ever likely to be hard up for a job in care, though.  If only the pay was better.

• There must be definite advantages with having that kind of technical skillset.  I used to work from home as an IT recruiter for Microsoft Dynamics products, and there was a lot of short-term contract stuff available for project managers, business analysts, solutions consultants, developers, etc.  Some of the more high-end contractors would often only work for part of the year and make enough to take long periods off.  That would suit me - if I had any of those skillsets!  I don't suppose I'm ever likely to be hard up for a job in care, though.  If only the pay was better.

Children
  • I used to have grand ideas about changing the world but now I wonder what the point of it all is.

Haha!  Me, too.  I always wanted to write a best-selling novel.  Now, when I look at some of the best-sellers, I know I'd never want to write anything like that!  Money's not really my motivation, either.  The more you have, the more you need.  At least, at the level of income I'm on, I'm used to living cheaply.  I can't really go any further down the income scale.  Whereas if I'd been used to a high income, I'd be really struggling on what I get now.

I'm happy, too, sitting at home with my cat.  Writing my unsaleable stories... Slight smile

• Unfortunately civil engineers work on a much lower pay scale than in software developers :p Not that money has ever been my motivation. I used to have grand ideas about changing the world but now I wonder what the point of it all is. I don't think I'm really cut out for the corporate world and I'd rather be sat at home with my cats. But as I mentioned above, this is my last attempt at making it work :)