Work yet again

I have just got home from work, I had my letter confirming my capability hearing. It’s on Friday morning.

I almost had a meltdown in front of my supervisor, just managed to keep my myself together. 

I was expecting it but I couldn’t process it, I even took some time away from my desk. 

• This sounds positive although you probably understand some traits and triggers.

As my company policy identifies that the person with the condition may have the best knowledge.

With me, for years, ambiguity/contradiction is the bane of my life coupled with taking a lot literally (do it if you can, don't do it, it is up to you to decide). Nobody puts things in writing and I'm not fully diagnosed.  I know what I am good at and what I struggle with. 

Perhaps but if you also have a chat with any diversity/mental health champions in work may help

• sounds positive, well done!

• I had my occupational health appointment this morning. They’re going to advise that I need a buddy to help me, a move of desk with a fan ( heat is a trigger) and extra breaks if needed.

They couldn’t deal with the autism issues as I’m not diagnosed yet, but a new referral will be needed. 

• That's good. I was told by an NHS autism assessment service that they can sometimes prioritise referrals for clinical reasons - I think this should apply when someone is struggling at work too. 

• Thanks,yes I’m much more relaxed. I’ve spent a fair amount of time sleeping. 

I had a therapy session on Tuesday,no depression but plenty of anxiety. So he’ll be helping me with the anxiety. 

He works with the autism assesor for the health trust and will make some Enquiries about my place on the waiting list. 

• Hope you are getting plenty of rest and feeling the benefit of taking time off. So important to make your wellbeing a priority. 

• Thanks for the awesome support. My employee rep, has asked for another postponement. I’m now off for the next two weeks. So plenty of self care on the cards. 

• If as you said above it is the company trying to support you then I would go to the hearing. The only person that can properly help them know how to help you is you so I think it's important that you are there. If your gp has signed you off then I think it is reasonable to explain that you really wanted to be there for the hearing but that a situation like that takes a lot out of you so you would need to go home afterwards. Good luck with it what ever you decide.

• Well, I’ve got my hearing tomorrow. However, I emailed my Gp for advice and they’ve signed me off.

im not sure if I should go into work for the hearing or not. I’m pretty sure that I won’t be able to do a full day tomorrow after the hearing. 

• Excellent News... Fingers Crossed

• Things are a little clearer tonight, I’ve been able to postpone the meeting until Monday. The employee rep, was really supportive and he thinks that it’s the company getting support in place and trying to understand what is going on with me. 

• That's good - so glad you are getting advice and support. 

• Thank you,  my employer is aware of my disability.

I discussed this at my annual review last December, it is on record. I'm currently waiting for an occupational health assessment. Which is also on my record.

I hope to be meeting with one of our employee representatives today. 

• Even though you knew this was going to happen at some point It must have been a real shock. So sorry. The timescale seems tight. I would restate my disability and ask for more time to process and prepare if I was in this situation. 

It is worth considering taking someone with you as you have the right be be accompanied. It may be possible to request postponement so that this is possible (often the case if aTrade Union rep is attending as they have lots of other commitments). 

Do remember that even though you have not had a diagnosis yet, the Equality Act applies as soon as you inform your employer that you are disabled. This is how the NAS website explains it:

"The Equality Act 2010 Guidance states that a person has a disability if:

“they have a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

‘Mental impairments’ include autism, a lifelong disability that affects how people perceive the world and interact with others. Most autistic people are likely to fit this description, but a person does not have to have a diagnosis to be considered disabled."

Have you informed your employer that you are disabled. Doing so in writing and keeping a copy will avoid this being disputed later on. Even though you have not been diagnosed as autistic yet you can still get the protection that the law provides. 

This overview might provide some useful information about the capability procedure: https://www.unison.org.uk/content/uploads/2016/05/Model-Capability-Procedure.docx

Given how soon your meeting is I realise you have limited time to get expert employment advice. I would still try to do so if you can. 

• make sure you take some recovery time tonight and do something you enjoy

Are you allowed to take someone with you to the hearing - eg union rep?