Work again

I have just got an invite for a catch up meeting at work. With the way things are I'm in full anxiety mode. 

Everyone is talking about the bonus they're going to get, I'm not as I was underperforming last year. No one has taken in to consideration that last year i had seven months of weekly therapy in relation to childhood trauma and now having to deal with all of this. 

At the moment I feel i just want to go sick again. But that will make things worse. 

Parents
  • Is this a one-to-one meeting, Ed - to discuss your current situation healthwise and workwise?

They don't sound like they're being supportive or cooperative with you.  The therapy you undertook was a huge thing.  Do they not realise this?

I'd be feeling anxious, too - but it might give you the opportunity to say your piece.  You might be able to gauge a lot from it - whether they're inclined to be more understanding.  Or not.  Do you have someone who could go along with you for support on the day?  I've been really grateful for the presence of my support worker at Shaw Trust. He's attended interviews with my Job Centre work coach to back me up. 

Maybe you need to go sick.  How will it make things worse if you do?  Have they suggested occupational health?

• The problem is it was dropped on me half an hour ago.  It's at 2.30 this afternoon. The problem is I've only been back 3 weeks from my last sick leave. 

Reply Children
  • Yes, that's short notice.  I wouldn't like that.

I had three periods of sick leave in my last job before I finally left.  I was off for a week.  Then I returned and worked for 6 weeks before going off again for 2 weeks.  Then I was back just a month before going sick again.  I hated it.  It made me feel guilty and weak.  But I really had no choice about it in the end.  As my Shaw Trust worker said to me about it 'You need to do what's best for you.  Don't worry about them.'  Easier said than done, though, I know.